drinking feul!

denz

Wrench Pro
hi i have a 1.4 clio but it's only doing 25mpg!!! it does have a K&N filter and a back box on it, anyone have any idea why it' so bad? there's no leaks either

Maybe the person who owned the car put a resistor between the air flow meter and the ecu, causing the ecu to think the air is colder than it actually is, making the ecu inject more fuel into the engine.

Just a thought.

How do you drive it? The Back box and K&N make a great sound when pushed but obviously MPG will suffer. So drive it carefully but enjoy ablat once in a while on an empty open road.

1, Is the thermostat correctly opening at the right temperature.
2, Are the wheel bearings in good condition
3, Tyre pressure - this can have a big effect on fuel economy taking upto 6 mpg if the pressure is wrong. :shock:
4, has someone attached a caravan or trailer to the back without you noticing. :evil:
5, Are the local kids syphoning off the Fuel overnight. :lol:

i have already checked for the chip, bearings have been changed not so long ago, tyres are all good..etc.......but i am abit heavy on the right foot, i have driven it sensibly to do the mpg check though? and theres defo no caravan on the back! :) will be taking it to a garage for a check out when it's repaired i think.