DPF Removal MOT Fail From Feb 2014

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Just been reading an article about the above title, how is this going to effect some of our diesel fuelled TC members who have modified their cars and removed the DPF?

Any plans in place for when the MOT date arrives as to what you are going to do? I am genuinely interested by the way! ;)

We can only hope that this will force vehicle manufacturers to refine the DPF system so that it works effectively. If anything the first generation additive based system fitted to my Peugeot 406 was better than the later (passive) ones.

OK - £60 quids worth of additive every 60,000 mile service but that's far cheaper than a new DPF.

My car never had one in the first place so I'm ok. It makes sense to test for these as the emissions and tax figures take these devices into account.

Depsite my pro-diesel attitude I do think that the DPF is a crude way of dealign with particulate emissions (soot). Surely we would do better to find a way to harness that energy rather than throwing extra fuel into the system to burn it off !!!!!!

So is DPF removal definitely a fail come next year? Haven't had mine removed as yet just deleted the EGR so looks like it's probably not worth removing the DPF now then

Last edited:
Just read that article and in my opinion it's a load of faffle. Dave Garratt, chief executive at the Garage Equipment Association says “Further research is required ...." then he tries to justify his alarmist article by saying "DPF removal is probably getting progressively worse.....

Oh really? I don't fall for it. You might as well say there's been an alarming rise in Catalytic Converter Removal .... based on anecdotal evidence from some trade organisations.

I cannot believe that nothing will be done to check this long term, but I concede that at the moment a visual external inspection is all that is required and is clearly not sufficient.

If this is mot fail why does it keep coming up on my facebook feed.companies willing to do it. Even says they will weld it back up after they take the filter out so know one notices

People have been removing catalysts from Petrol engines for years. This is also an MOT failure but people still do it! The car still has to pass a particulates test, without a DPF it will not. Just because a service is offered it does not make it legal.

Our duty is to warn people so they know the risks they are taking if they go ahead with an off road only or illegal modification. You take your chance and pay the price if you get caught out.

re the particulate test for a diesel during the MOT .... I'm not at all clear about this. I don't have a DPF on mine and when it was in for its MOT all I got was a metered smoke test (got the fast pass because the first run was easily within the requirements). If the car had failed the first test there would have been two other test runs performed and the average of the three taken as the result.

As regards the particulate test, I've searched on the web and I just don't see it. I looked on the web site https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/diesel-particulate-filters-guidance-note
and all I see is a load of stern warnings about how important the DPF is and how only BAD PEOPLE would remove them. Testers are required to verify the presence of a DPF for applicable vehicles but I don't see any details about a measured particulate inspection having to be done.

Hi.

I've had EGR & DPF removed and I found an MOT station that turned a blind eye to having no DPF.
He told me after he checked the omissions he found it was cleaner than loads of diesel motors he sees, its only ever had performance Diesel.
I had lowering springs (20mm) fitted and alignment of lights were out so he was going to fail it......!
I guess in the eyes of the law - I'm breaking it, even though it is cleaner than many other motors.....
Regards
Lockstock.

Hi buddy, I edited the post slightly.
TorqueCars do not condone or actively encourage any wrong doing to a car that contravenes any MOT rules or regulations. I hope you continue to enjoy you're car and the performance that it gives :)

If this is mot fail why does it keep coming up on my facebook feed.companies willing to do it. Even says they will weld it back up after they take the filter out so know one notices
Because for to long, action hasn't been taken against garages offering this but it still doesn't mean it's legal.
The dpf collects the soot generated by unburnt Diesel and incinerate it at certain conditions. There is no soot test in the mot at moment hence removed units go undetected. The new mot test will close this loophole and I can't see any removed units passing the soot test. There's going to be a lot of unhappy drivers soon. Even if you have your own "friendly ;)" mot tester, what will happen to the next owner of your car, do you tell them or let them find out for themselves.

Hi.

I've had EGR & DPF removed and I found an MOT station that turned a blind eye to having no DPF.
He told me after he checked the omissions he found it was cleaner than loads of diesel motors he sees, its only ever had performance Diesel.
I had lowering springs (20mm) fitted and alignment of lights were out so he was going to fail it......!
I guess in the eyes of the law - I'm breaking it, even though it is cleaner than many other motors.....
Regards
Lockstock.
It's cleaner on emissions maybe but the uncollected carcinogenic soot particles are now blown out the back instead of being burnt off so curing a problem with another one o_O I appreciate the dpf isn't really the answer but it's all we have. DEF is on a lot of cars now but pouring a bottle pig wee in your boot every few thousand miles doesn't seem the right way either. The dpf isn't really all that bad a design but it was marketed and sold very poorly hence all the problems have with and a lot of garages don't really understand them so simply remove it........ illegally.

The MOT test is definately changing it seems with £1000 fine for owners of cars with DPFs removed. All DPF removed cars WILL fail the test as the job of collecting and burning the soot is no longer functioning. I can see a black market in fraudulant MOT stations or stolen DPF units rising

http://garagewire.co.uk/news/what-does-2017-have-in-store-for-diesel-tech/

Be interesting to see if garages that offer this service will be prosecuted also :rolleyes:

Plenty of that around. Similar to the "for off road use only" stickers on many performance parts because they've not been tested and approved as safe for road use.

A high flow sports DPF would make more sense than removal, surely you could split the exhaust flow through two dpfs and increase the cars flow rate without affecting legality.