Does global warming exist

why are we discussing global warming. Now scientist have announced that we are going to enter a mini ice-age.

the point is - we do know *"!#. Scientists say one thing one day, put a new variable into the equation and come up with something else. As for using statistics, in almost all circumstances they can be used to argue either side (i.e. to quote "lies, lies and damned statistics).

So many things about this world and how it reacts that we dont know so to say we are doing something and then try to change it without knowing any of the effects is pure lunacy.

for example. If we make all these cut backs to our carbon footprint and the world becomes carbon neutral then we find out that, oops, this was wrong an ice age was coming and we have exacerbated the process by reduce the carbon being released.

imo i would prefer it to be a couple of degrees hotter i/o living in a friging ice age. Just dont buy a house on the coast.

:lol: I think this debate is likely to continue for another 10 years on here judging by the passionate and sincerely held beleifs in the comments!

dpsubaru - we should be hitting an ice age any time (its about 11,500 years since the preceeding one, which was about 11,500 years after the one before, which was about 11,500 years... - think you can see where I'm going here).

Indeed, we have just come through a period of reduced sunspot activity that usually ties in with a period of cooling (the end of a sunspot cycle - last seen around 1997) - and it's been the second hottest year on record. - tying with 2007. 'Course, that is a bit naughty (picking a single year isn't exactly looking at climate, but skeptics like to do so to "prove" there isn't any man made global warming, I'll happily steal a leaf out of their book).

The near-consensous among scientists is that the level of Carbon Dioxide is high enough that we won't see as much cooling as we should - in fact, we'll probably still see increased warming (but at a lower rate).

aswearing, try the "Journal of Geophysicsal Research". They published the following paper in September 2009: "Citation: Murphy, D. M., S. Solomon, R. W. Portmann, K. H. Rosenlof, P. M. Forster, and T. Wong (2009), An observationally based energy balance for the Earth since 1950, J. Geophys. Res., 114, D17107, doi:10.1029/2009JD012105".

WLBjork: Thanks mate I'll look into it. I wrote a review called ''To Stress?'' that talked about earth and what it has gone through, and why we shouldn't be too fussed.

In all honesty, I wrote it because i was bored. Everything we speculate about is not happening anytime soon, and unless we've forgotten there are more pressing matters. So, for me, ignorance is bliss and I'll continue working on cancer and medical microbiology and do my part in helping people that are alive(ish) now.

All this fuss and we're still not clear whether global warming actually exists.

(Waynne snipped this discussion from our thread about new cars CO2 ratings as I think this makes a worth topic for debate.)

Actually I don't give a damn about the DOCTRINE of green house gases, CO2 is GREAT PLANT FOOD~!~!
Leave it up to some pinhead in a pinstriped suit pushin' a pencil to come up with a plan to "relieve" the working class of more of their hard earned money-that is what's really going on here~!~! 'It is a proven fact that the more CO2 there is the bigger the trees and plants get-thereby giving us more life giving O2~!~!~! Go figure?? Hey??~!~!??? Nature's doing it's a balancing act, too bad some people are not even as smart a freakin' PLANT~!~~~!

Last edited by a moderator:
The majority of ''scientific findings'' aren't by real scientists and are most often swayed by monitary pay outs.

Of course they aren't real. No-one is going to get a grant to go out and prove that it's a load of cobblers.

I was going to say 'load of hot air', but that's just too obvious.
Ha ha ha ha.....

One point jetlag700: Heat stress in plants.

aswearing can probably tell you a little more than I can but basically, if it gets too hot, then crop yields will decrease.

When there are 6b people on the Earth, that is not something that we want to happen.

Plants etc. will only get bigger on more Carbon Dioxide if lack of Carbon Dioxide is the limiting factor, which - as the amount of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is rapidly increasing - cannot be the case. Therefore limiting factors are:

Lack of precipitation (photosynthesis requires equal moles of Carbon Dioxide and Water)
Lack of other nutrients (to produce the Chloropyll necessary for the reaction to occur)
Lack of temperature for the reaction to proceed effectively.

An excess of the above can also be limiting factors, as they can cause problems. Excess precipitation, for example can cause roots to rot which means that the plants are then not taking up sufficient water and nutrients for effective photosynthesis.

One point jetlag700: Heat stress in plants.

aswearing can probably tell you a little more than I can but basically, if it gets too hot, then crop yields will decrease.

When there are 6b people on the Earth, that is not something that we want to happen.

Plants etc. will only get bigger on more Carbon Dioxide if lack of Carbon Dioxide is the limiting factor, which - as the amount of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is rapidly increasing - cannot be the case. Therefore limiting factors are:

Lack of precipitation (photosynthesis requires equal moles of Carbon Dioxide and Water)
Lack of other nutrients (to produce the Chloropyll necessary for the reaction to occur)
Lack of temperature for the reaction to proceed effectively.

An excess of the above can also be limiting factors, as they can cause problems. Excess precipitation, for example can cause roots to rot which means that the plants are then not taking up sufficient water and nutrients for effective photosynthesis.

All fine and good, I know some science too, but the fact remains that the same "scientists" who promote the doctrine of green house gas and other bull are from the same lineage as Darwin who when he was afraid he'd end up in Hell for denying that he was a created being accountable to a Creator recanted his assinine theory of evolution~!~!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more inclined to beleive that there is something up with the weather pattern which is attributable to manmade emissions. The flooding, high winds and freak weather seems to be more commonplace than it used to be.

We just had the hottest day in a 100 years so that means that there was a day almost as hot way back then so is that "climate change" or "global warming" :confused:

There's a finite amount of fossil fuels left. Once that's gone then any global warming, even if it does exist, will cease.
I suppose we could assume that the creator (again, this is down to personal opinion) handed us a couple of hundred years worth of fossil fuels to keep us going whilst we unravel and refine the nuclear options.

Agree with HDI
The planet can't continue to feed an ever increasing population when more and more fertile farmlands are turned into housing estates or mines.

Agree with HDI
The planet can't continue to feed an ever increasing population when more and more fertile farmlands are turned into housing estates or mines.

Exactly. I have a stance on immigration,too. People fleeing war zones to protect themselves aren't immigrants. They are panic stricken refugees. Frightened, hurt by personal loss, emotionally destitute and in despair. This planet is big enough for all of us, rich enough for all of us to sustain healthy lives and relationships with other people. Let's try to see the really big picture.

But sadly many who claim discrimination are intolerant of the culture of the country they flee/immigrate to and don't want to or attempt to assimilate but embrace the welfare system here that was not available in their own country.

We have cases of Immigrants/refugees who have sent their pre pubescent daughters overseas to have genital mutilation carried out a practice I find absolutely horrific and barbaric and from the dark ages.

Ok, hands up anyone who knows how hot the exhaust gasses are on a 200+ seat passenger jet.
I don't, but I wouldn't like to be behind one at full thrust, so how many jets are in the sky
at any one time, now that's a lot of heat, & people complain about brum brum's .....

I agree with the Aussies , if you do not like our system of laws, do not want to speak our language or become a positive part of our society go back to where you came from. This is an example of what we are facing right now in the USA,

<NationalReport>In a surprise weekend vote, the city council of Dearborn, Michigan voted 4-3 to became the first US city to officially implement all aspects of Sharia Law. The tough new law, slated to go into effect January 1st, addresses secular law including crime, politics and economics as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, fasting, prayer, diet and hygiene.

The new law could see citizens stoned for adultery or having a limb amputated for theft. Lesser offenses, such as drinking alcohol or abortion, could result in flogging and/or caning. In addition, the law imposes harsh laws with regards to women and allows for child marriage.

Some in town seem to welcome the new legislation while others have denounced the move as “abhorrent”, a threat to freedom and incompatible with the Constitution. When asked by National Report about the need for such a law, local resident Jeremy Ahmed stated:

“It is because of our need that Allah the Almighty, in all his generosity, has created laws for us, so that we can utilize them to obtain justice. We hope to see other cities taking this action in the face of the governments inaction of passing such legislation”.

Other local residents have taken to social media sites with comments ranging from “praise be to Allah” and “long live Islam” to “RIP Dearborn” and “Only in Obama’s America would an American city consider Sharia Law”.

The city of Dearborn is a well-known safe haven for Muslims and Muslim sympathizers. With a population of around 98 thousand people, roughly 30% of its residence are Muslims making them the largest concentration of Muslims in the United States.

The dangers of Sharia Law in America were first outlined in a 2010 study produced by the Center for Security Policy (CSP) titled “Sharia: The Threat to America“, a 352-page book based on authoritative sources of Islamic law. While sharia includes strict rules for prayer and fasting, it is also an all-encompassing legal and political code that covers all aspects of life including those that have nothing to do with religion.

Basically 27 thousand Muslim immigrants are going to dictate to the 71 thousand Americans who built the city and were born and lived there for generations how they will live their lives.

It's a sign of a good set of astute and intelligent people involved in discussion.

I will drop in here (at risk of creating a double paradox) that I have no time for 'Islamophobia' nor for any other form of prejudice. This is an open statement and not directed to anyone else who has posted in this thread,

Political time over. Thank-you for listening to me.