Does being followed by a police car affect your driving?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
So do you change your driving style when there is a Police car behind you? Does it make you nervous/paranoid? Have you ever done something stupid while being followed by the Police?

yea i do change my driving style a bit lol, i tend to stick to speed limits religiously and i dont leave junctions like a bat out of hell but thats about it for me

I too stop driving like a c**t when there are Police cars around. Only been pulled once (a couple of weeks ago) in the three years I've been on the roads..

I think the guy was just bored.. He'd driven past the other way about 10mins previous, then pulled me and said ''it appeared'' that I was not wearing a seatbelt. I'm not sure how good his vision was but I find it hard to keep my eye on the road and check road users for seatbelts - going the opposite direction at 40MPH.. :rolleyes: ... I just told him that I was, and he didn't argue it at all.. Then did a 'routine check' and let me go. Of course I said 'Thank you officer', but to this day I can't work out what I thanked him for..

:shock: that was a close one!

As to the question, it depends if they're chasing me. :lol:

I know this sounds big headed but I like to think my drivings pretty good anyway so I just drive as I usually would.

I don't change my drving at all.

I use to have a golf gti mkII and it was a bit beaten up. The pigs were always pulling me in it. I got pulled 6 times in 6 weeks, only one pig actually told me the truth, 'you's just look dodgey so i pulled u', funny thing was i knew they were going to pull me so i stopped round the corner and let them catch up(they were going in the opposite direction at first).

It doesn't really bother me when they pull u, you give them the 'yes sir' 'no sir' *#*#*#*#, let them have their power trip then ur on ur way.

Although one thing I would like to say is the traffic police ain't as bad as the normal nobs.

i get a bit edgy if a cop is behind me. i think to myself - 'keep to the limit', and it's like i have an alta ego that says 'if you slow down they will think you are up to something'...... sod it, pull over and let them pass.

I know what you mean. Then you start thinking if I pull over then I will look even more suspicious! (Welcome to the site m8!)

many people seem to be paranoid at times like these :p

surely if you drive the way that the leanred the police would haave no reason to pull you over, unless they intended to help you (like informing your car was crabbing badly :? )

when passing a poloce car do you sneak a quick look at their face to see whether they are looking at you, then when they look back quickly avert your attention and pretend you wasn't looking at them? :D so petty

I know a few people that get nervous when anything with a siren is behind them, and some are really paranoid about being pulled over.

Generally not too bothered but obviously moderate the open road speeds to avoid attracting attention.

I was stopped by an unmarked Thames Valley Omega last year (for doing 122mph) and just so luckily escaped with a verbal roadside warning as they didn't have quite enough evidence on video. They were extremely polite and reasonable about the whole thing so I can't really criticise the TV traffic squad.

Panda car drivers can be a little sillier as they're not trained traffic police and try to prove themselves to be clever than they really are. However, they are pretty stuck if there's no witness in the Police car as no formal speed measuring equipment is installed to corroborate the drivers claim.

Rule zero - don't admit to anything as to do so is tantamount to a confession. Without this they're going to have to work so much harder to build a contiguous case and will often let it go with a roadside b******ing.

122mph on a public road :shock: !! Thats a 6 month ban and at least 6 points!! Your one lucky guy - I bet if you had been in a Porsche Boxter you wouldn't have got off so easily.

I was extremely lucky. They were slightly perplexed I think by the dreaded 'D' badge on my car. Had it been a Boxster I think the video would've been rolling a lot earler, which in turn would've led to the ban, points and fine which you mention.

Genuinely though - to all - do be cautious - the police are getting ever sneakier with speed monitoring devices. Not something they like doing, I'm sure, but the Home Office is trying to make speed as socially unacceptable as incest.

thats a good point to make :D and good referencing.

i don't condone illegal speeding, but the advertising is just too in your face. when i see ''speed kills'' it really is a **** take, speed doesn't kill. trying to show off to your mates, showing off the company car to the wife or thinking you are cleverer than you actually are...they kill.

speed is contributory and i feel that the miscalculations by underexperienced drivers make, while attempting the above cause the greater loss of life.

i get extremely upset at the current laws and legislations upon driving, we are all hindered as drivers and the fun has been taken away as it is no longer pleasurable while we are always watching our rear view for the police or constantly checking the speed while passing a camera in the middle of nowhere where there are blind turns upcoming, and taking your eyes off the road every ten seconds to check your speed is dead on 50 when passing through av. speed cameras.

damit give me an airstrip and a car.

(i apologise if what you have read seems contradictory, i'll repost to make it more clear).

:evil:

if i go through an area with lots of (hidden)speed cameras i get worried and tend to spend more time observing my speed rather than the road...
people having to do that isnt safe. if i do 50 displacements per time i would have a shorter stopping distance because i am more alert and focused compared to when i am going through a camera when my eyes are glued to the speedo

and one more thing: the government say speed kills, speed cant kill you, only the forces involved in acceleration can, stupid blair.

Don't forget the forces involved in decellaration too! :lol: I do agree that speed cameras are a distraction to drivers even when they are not speeding. How many people slow up from the 40 they are meant to be doing to 35 because they are just passing a camara - CRAZY TOWN!

i hate when there's a copper infront of me

i do change my driving style slightly, i make sure i indicate, and i slow down to 3-4mph over the limt. or 2-3mph over their speed.

i used to drive a 19994 fiesta 1.1 (to build up my no claims),
Anyways i got pulled at least once every 2 months in that car, over 2 yrs ! and it was always coz they just seen me doin sumthin wrong, but i spoted them in time, so not enough evidence, Hehe. i'm not scared of talkin to coppers anymore.

Even if they saw you blatently doing 50mph in a thirty, just say 30-35mph when they ask. one copper will make a sly comment to try and get you to say something stupid by upsetting you, just stay quiet, and only answer the actual questions.
i've had lotsa practice in keepin my licience clean..... Always speak politely.
if they do pull you:
DONT stop until its completely safe, (to get out of your car without getting run over etc) so no stoppin on a dual carriageway!
DONT EVER ADMIT TO DOING WRONG. :twisted:
i made that mistake after i first passed my test; it was them speeding 70mph in a thirty without lights or sirens, that scared the *#*#*#*# out of me when i did a right turn infront of them. i had to go on a driver improvement course or go to court. i choose the Course.
IT Made me a better driver, i'm more aware of situations that lead to accidents, so i can easily spot dangerous situations and change into my defensive style. (one copper has actually complimented my driving, aked me if i was a profesional driver ! & he didnt seem to be taking the piss)

DOES ANYONE ELSE HATE THE WAY COPPERS PARK ?
its like they want to slow the traffic, so we can see that they ARE doing some work

How long was the course then?

The police do the whole visible policing thing down our way too!

Speeding

I usually slow down if i see piggies in time, if i don't, then, i don't, lol. In fact just yesterday on the way back from Manchester Airport i nearly shat when spying a pig sat at the side of the motorway and looking down at the speedo to see nearly a ton on the clock, i slowed but they were looking down at Page 3 in The Sun or something so i just accelerated behind a truck and sneaky sneaky, dissapeared, lol. Lucky me!

Just to get this off my chest, i think the stopping distances etc should be amended in the Highway Code as those are based on cars of about 60 years ago and are horrendously out of date! Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents (as they say in the US, apparently) for now... :twisted:

You had a lucky run there!

Im not sure there is much difference in stopping distances in modern cars. Audi & Toyotas stop almost dead with their superb ABS but there are still quite a few cars out there with rubbish brakes. The drivers reaction time is still a major factor so thinking distance is about the same. Should we have a shorter listed stopping distance? I guess it depends what the driver is going to be driving.

People still drive too close to the car in front if you ask me though! (Rant over!) Even with ABS etc and we still see multiple rear end shunts :rolleyes:

SPEEDING, + Mr Piggles

fingers said:
:shock: that was a close one!

As to the question, it depends if they're chasing me. :lol:

I know this sounds big headed but I like to think my drivings pretty good anyway so I just drive as I usually would.

haha,
reminds me i left the coppers once,
they passed me doin 60 on an open road next to feilds (no side turnings).
they had to stop and do a 3point turn. But he did have a bmw530i estate.
i used my local knowledge and i routed around back on my self, ppffeww, my old Golf was rapid 8)
I'll show you pics soon as i learn how to upload them.

In most cases, its Always better to just stop, before they catch you doing something they can prove.

Not that i would have led him ito a chase that i didnt know Exactly what to do, or long enough for him to catch my plate.
& not that i would reccomend trying it.
i almost crapped my pants, but on the road i managed to keep my cool. LoL
fast cars with 6speed manual, are a big risk when trying to keep a clean license. :!:

My buddy showed me his letter with photo last week, he got done for 35mph in a 30mph zone,
at an off peak time, with no schools/shops etc:
:arrow: thats jus ridiculous! :!: :x

Surely its not fair to give a fine AND POINTS, for such a minor amount of speed.
_____
Quote : HDI FUN
"Not something they like doing, I'm sure, but the Home Office is trying to make speed as socially unacceptable as incest."
_____

HDI FUN 8) , you've got a way with words
Although, You gotta admit this process is gonna be a B*tch.
I'm a law abiding citizen, well 99.999% of the time anyway. NOBODY's perfect. Especially if you drive.

WANYE, the course was 2 DAYS and it was in Stanmore (North London).
It was quite insightful, Learning the actual causes of dangerous situations, so you know where to be more cautious. Also makes you feel more comfortable driving at pace, knowing that you know what you should know.
& incase you were gonna ask; it cost £100 quid.