Do you prefer turbo or NASP

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
So do you prefer turbo or NASP power?

I don't mind which as long as theres lots of power!

Thinking about it I'm probably more into turbos. Small revvy powerful engines are good fun!

What about you then do you prefer turbo or NASP?

After playing with turbos for the last 26 years I have recently jumped camps and now have a hi reving NA Type R and it is a different driving experience and am keen to find out how my times at events compare.

Am thinking that my newish "bum drager" :lol: may end up with similar times as I come to grips with a slightly different driving technique in a car with 50% less power.

Had both and still have both. My T16 MG was dropping around 250 through the front wheels, had torque steer, wasn’t a great drive. My Audi is nasp and has around 300, a lot smoother. I think I prefer nasp as I like a smoother delivery. Until I drive a well sorted turbo I’ll stick with that for now. The Golf GTi I use for my daily is okay, not harsh but nothing memorable.

Had a drive on a dirt track a long time ago in a hot Alfa Sud that had a lot of T S and no LSD with what I think would be a lot less power than my Civic that comes with a helical LSD and have only noticed a tiny bit of T S so maybe the LSD minimizes things ?
Havn't driven the Honda on dirt to compare.

My 220 gti was suffering from torquesteer a torsen diff made a massive difference.

I think modern turbos are quite linear in their delivery.

Remember the Metro 1.3 turbo - that was go kart like fun with all the power coming on suddenly?

My 220 gti was suffering from torquesteer a torsen diff made a massive difference.

I think modern turbos are quite linear in their delivery.

Remember the Metro 1.3 turbo - that was go kart like fun with all the power coming on suddenly?

I would think that the way that any turbo builds boost pressure is in the main to mainly due to the turbine housing size .
Small = fast response @low revs BUT strangled @ hi revs = reduced top end power.
Big = responding @ high revs and more lag low down but higher top end power.