Do remaps void warranties

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I hear a lot of claims that warranties are void when a car is remapped?

Is this true or urban myth? Does it depend on what fails? If you add 40% power and gearbox blows up it's not a valid claim but if you add 40% power and the power steering plays up then surely this should be covered?

What are your thoughts, comments and experiences of this issue?

I've never bought a brand new car so have never had a warranty. Ergo I've never read the T&Cs on one.
I would not be surprised if there was a clause stating that any changes to original spec, including engine management systems (ie a remap), will void the warranty in it's entirety.

There's no issue with the warranty. If it's a part you've changed then that part is no longer under warranty, everything else still is though. I made sure of this with Ford before I did anything at all to my car

With a remap i do know that VAG and BMW, If they detect the software adaptions on the ecu, Will invalidate the "drive train" aspect of your vehicles warranty.

With a remap i do know that VAG and BMW, If they detect the software adaptions on the ecu, Will invalidate the "drive train" aspect of your vehicles warranty.

Unless off course you have purchased their software update, there is an "ouch" involved in that price tag apparently.

Very true indeed T9. There is a very big "ouch" at the till when it comes to main dealer upgrades

They build in reliability to the standard maps. If you push things to the limit they can't really be expected to foot the bill. It's the same with overclocking CPU's. If it gets too hot and you fry it - it's down to you.

They build in reliability to the standard maps. If you push things to the limit they can't really be expected to foot the bill. It's the same with overclocking CPU's. If it gets too hot and you fry it - it's down to you.

You have a point there buddy, BUT, if I walk into a dubious part of town at night with my bling on display then I really cannot be surprised if I get mugged. A dealership however, should still show you value for money and not just how easy it is to remove you're wallet contents because you dared to be different :)