Do many track days

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you do many track days? Why or why not?

For me it is the maintenance cost of the car, each track day seems to require a new set of pads, tyres and often discs! Perhaps I have too much fun!

At least in a diesel I don't have to worry about fuel anymore.

I will probably do two track days this year and that will be it. As you say Obi, it's not just the efforts on track but the replacements and checks of certain items on the car afterwards that can make the day a very expensive one.

I fit in what I can each year, it never goes to plan though as you have to budget a fair bit each time. However my track car is not my daily driver so I don't have to worry about getting to work etc.

I'm much the same as Samford .
I am intending to do 4 half day track days plus 4 street sprints.
My first track day for the year is on 12/2/15

I was hoping to fit in some early ones myself, but have a holiday balance to pay and this year sees a pearl anniversary, so again monies to be put to one side to ensure I am not sleeping with the dogs! Plus I have some modifications to do to the brake upgrade as it is not to my standards.

OK, what is the point of track days?

To be able to drive ones car at speed on a track with similar experienced drivers and it's not a race. It's a cheap form of fun to blast your car around some of the UKs best racetracks. It allows drivers to experience track use in whatever capacity they so wish with the daily commuter or weekend sports car without the fear of stuffing it, this however comes in time to some! If I could afford to do my ARDS and get a licence and then afford to race in a series I would, but I was never blessed with rich parents, a lottery win or a job that paid me silly money. I decided it was fun to have three daughters, three dogs plus a lovely wife instead to keep me sensible ;)

However I did spent several years on the ovals (cheap motorsport) so at least did something competitive.

I see track days as a safe place to push both car and driver to the limits and try to post a better time than previously. I also try different lines and late hard braking as well as trail braking but my car wants to rotate under TB am hoping that the revised spring and damper rates will dial out some the sudden rear end loss of grip when trail braking.

I feel that doing this helps circulate adrenalin thru my body and helps keep me younger between the ears as I would be bored to an early death if I played bingo or bowls.

PS Stamford you can still "stuff it" IF you drive 11/10's

I used to do quite a few... but I've not done a track day for years, bar our time at the Nurburgring last summer... which is a totally different kettle of fish tbh, and not what I would describe as a 'safe' environment for car and driver lol

I have watched Sabine drive the Ring and it seems a bit on the dangerous side with the mix of cars and bikes some with wildly different speeds.

But I would love to be able to say that I had done a lap of the Ring.

I would like to tick that off my list but not keen on what goes on around you. A friend of mine had a share in a car, his two mates took it to the Ring and binned it not that far in. End of car, end of share! What concerns me is the lack of warming up taken by most and due to the distance memorising it!

^^ Ah now I understand Mick :oops: I wondered what you meant exactly by memorising it due to the distance. Just looked it up and apparently the Ring is 13 miles long and at least 73 bends :eek: