Do drivers realise how far it takes to stop?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
When you double the speed most seem to think that it will take twice the distance to stop BUT it will take 4 times the distance and at 3/4 stopping distance you are still doing 1/2 the speed you were doing before you applied the brakes.
Triple the speed and it will take 9 times the distance.

Simple mechanical physics. But the car in front can't stop instantly either. I always try to have vision past and beyond the vehicle in front. This is most easily achieved with several dozen yards space - you can see ahead of both sides of the vehicle you're following. It makes overtaking much easier and safer.

BUT if you are tailgating and the car in front is HARD on the brakes then you still have to realize that and then react and get off the gas and onto the brake pedal and stop/slow before headbutting his back bumper/boot and you will be the one held responsible for the crash due to driving too close.

BUT if you are tailgating and the car in front is HARD on the brakes then you still have to realize that and then react and get off the gas and onto the brake pedal and stop/slow before headbutting his back bumper/boot and you will be the one held responsible for the crash due to driving too close.

I NEVER taligate.

I have a rough idea depending on the situation but there is always the unexpected and more importantly, that unknown factor that tends to bend the rules of physics.

They ask about stopping distances in the test but I doubt drivers could accurately estimate what that distance was if they had to lay out markers on the ground.

There used to be the two second rule. On the daily commute i think some drivers believe it to be a two metre gap and that's being generous! Some drivers just don't think about braking distances and allowing to stop safely, they have misplaced trust in both their abilities and that of the car they are driving.

Simple mechanical physics. But the car in front can't stop instantly either. I always try to have vision past and beyond the vehicle in front. This is most easily achieved with several dozen yards space - you can see ahead of both sides of the vehicle you're following. It makes overtaking much easier and safer.

Exactly how I drive. I always leave a few car spaces between me and the car in front and I always ease the brakes when I see cars up ahead brake.

There used to be the two second rule. On the daily commute i think some drivers believe it to be a two metre gap and that's being generous! Some drivers just don't think about braking distances and allowing to stop safely, they have misplaced trust in both their abilities and that of the car they are driving.
I remember that "only a fool breaks the two second rule!" Simple and effective PSA!

I still check myself a number of times every time I drive by saying one thousand and one thousand and two .

Clearly the person who rang into the back of my other half this morning has no idea how long it takes to stop. Luck had it it was a reasonably slow impact and all its done is kinked one of the exhaust tails slightly... Still annoying.

2 seconds is a minimum really but I can't stand all those rhyming things such as 'Only a fool ......' It's all a bit Enid Blyton 'Lashings of gigner beeresque. It's IAM at its best/worst.

Clearly the person who rang into the back of my other half this morning has no idea how long it takes to stop. Luck had it it was a reasonably slow impact and all its done is kinked one of the exhaust tails slightly... Still annoying.
Call me if you have any insurance issues, I did 14 years as a broker and picked up a few tips.