Do 200mph cars belong on our roads

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I heard an older relative remark when we were talking about a Ferrari that cut us up the other day "I don't understand why people need cars that do 200 miles an hour on our roads. The limit is 70."

I was just wondering if there are any merits at all in this line of reasoning? Surely all cars could theoretically be restricted to say 80mph when on our roads and any restriction removed when the car is taken on a track.

Would it really bother you that much if your top speed was not available to you on the public roads?

I heard an older relative remark when we were talking about a Ferrari that cut us up the other day "I don't understand why people need cars that do 200 miles an hour on our roads. The limit is 70."

Bless him! I would say sit the man down carefully, tell him not to fret and offer him another cup of tea and a slice of cake!

I was just wondering if there are any merits at all in this line of reasoning? Surely all cars could theoretically be restricted to say 80mph when on our roads and any restriction removed when the car is taken on a track.

None whatsoever! Start all of this nonsense off and we shall be activating the slide on the slippery slope to big brotherhood trying to keep us in line.

Would it really bother you that much if your top speed was not available to you on the public roads

Indeed it would, I have developed a very powerful car to use the performance responsibly and not to be dictated too by PC tree hugging dreamers!

This same tired arguement comes to the forefront of conversations every now and then. At the end of the day it is only somebody's opinion which they are perfectly entitled too! ;)

WAYNNE I SUSPECT THAT YOU HAVE STARTED THIS THREAD TO GET A RESPONSE COS YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY BELEIVE ONE WORD OF THE IDEA YOURSELF. :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway for the record Ii am not bothered that I cant use the top speed in third gear on the roads and I suspect T9 isnt either.

In fact i am more likely to speed on the motorway in my Honda Civic as I relax when driving it - In the stagea I cant for a minute - if was to I could be doing 100mph easily ( please note I said could :p )

I have to also add to the "unconverted" that usually such cars are much safer at speed than most because of the uprated brakes and steering.

I do use the cars full performance off the road on track and days pod visits etc To do this I need to get there

As T9 said he needs more tea and cake .........or maybe being taken out for a little drive ;)

Perhaps its not the top speed but the rate of change that's the issue. Should the argument really be that unless you have had race training and can cope with having to make extremely rapid judgements then you shouldn't be driving a supercar.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Could you really have a car like a Ferrari with a top speed of 80mph?! That would be like stuffing a Mattesons sausage down your pants to impress a girl, then taking your pants off to reveal it's nothing more than a cocktail sausage.

Perhaps its not the top speed but the rate of change that's the issue. Should the argument really be that unless you have had race training and can cope with having to make extremely rapid judgements then you shouldn't be driving a supercar.

Just playing devil's advocate.

The bigger problem is that many drivers have no idea how rapidly such cars can go between 50 and 100mph to commit to an overtaking manoeuvre. Powerful bikes are even more of an issue.

Forget MSM, the proper advice is mirror, mirror, mirror ! !

His he trying to bait me :bigsmile:.

My 200mph car is on the road & perfectly legally so why would i not drive it :sad2:. An Enzo aint that fast against cars with real Power. Do i use it, of course its my road car.
All really fast cars, lets say over 850bhp have mind blowing accleration try 60-150mph in sub 8secs thats what you can use on the road on any short straight. If the Minister of Transport came for a ride in mine all modded cars would be banned the next day :bigsmile:, fortunately they & almost all other drivers dont have a clue whats possible.

try taking your 850hp car and stick a rev limiter to prevent speeds of 100+mph and see how often it's in the garage being fixed. high performance cars are not designed to be restricted otherwise the ecu goes crazy and then faults occur regularly. bet he wasn't complaining at the jag e-type lol

overtaking in no mans land without power is suicidal, i see these silly little cars flat out gambling everytime they try to pass others ,It makes it so much easier and safer to have a performance car with grunt to do this

it's worse when you see a chav try and cut off a guy in a bmw m3! sat next to my mates dad when that happened. mates dad passed him and kept slowing down to 40mph so when this 1.1 tried overtaking he sped up

try taking your 850hp car and stick a rev limiter to prevent speeds of 100+mph and see how often it's in the garage being fixed. high performance cars are not designed to be restricted otherwise the ecu goes crazy and then faults occur regularly. bet he wasn't complaining at the jag e-type lol

I work for M.A.Developments main agents for Autronic/Vipec ecu's . ecu's do exactly what you programme them to do & dont go crazy or do anything they are not told to do.
All production cars can have an after market ECU fitted & gain Power & be more economic the factory ecu is one setting fits all, across a wide range of fuels & climates. A Chip will improve it a tad, but get it live mapped on decent fuel & you would be surprised at the gains.
You say high performance cars are not restricted thats exactly what they are. Add 8 deg ignition & the fuel to mine & its over 950bhp but at that level headgasket integrity becomes a problem so we restrict Power but not Torque so we run high Boost (2.9bar) but very conservative ignition curve.

it's worse when you see a chav try and cut off a guy in a bmw m3! sat next to my mates dad when that happened. mates dad passed him and kept slowing down to 40mph so when this 1.1 tried overtaking he sped up

A fiesta reached 183.99mph at Alconbury today a new UK FWD record in a mile.
Be careful who you pick on that little car would destroy the M3 ;).

So your mates Dad baites 1.1 litre cars rather pathetic dont you think.
You call the youngster a Chav :D:D:D.

Surely all cars could theoretically be restricted to say 80mph when on our roads and any restriction removed when the car is taken on a track. QUOTE]

Isn't the new Nissan GTR limited? It uses GPS to locate where you are and limits the power. Say if you went to a track, it will unlock the maximum power? Then on a road it limites the power again?

I can't remember if I read it or dreamt it! :lol:

A fiesta reached 183.99mph at Alconbury today a new UK FWD record in a mile.
Be careful who you pick on that little car would destroy the M3 ;).

So your mates Dad baites 1.1 litre cars rather pathetic dont you think.
You call the youngster a Chav :D:D:D.

My brother gets egg'd on a lot as he owns a Scooby. A lot of chavs thinking there Zetecs can keep up... Oh... How wrong are they!

If a driver is so un-conscientious (ooh a big word:amuse:) that he/she needs to be restricted to 70-80 than they shouldn't be in control of a vehicle in the first place.

Fast drivers who are having fun & enjoying thair cars & the road are usually concentrating, looking further ahead & although driving fast are 'mostly' able to drive at 80/90% & not push their limits too far, or start experimenting.

Its the slow & steady drivers I worry about!

I can't say I've ever driven a 200mph car though.

I heard someone again say "I don't understand why people need cars that do 170 miles an hour on our roads. The limit is 70."

SHHHEEEESH!