Diesel with 130bhp as fast as the petrol 130bhp?

wezzel98765

Road Burner
Car
Renault Clio 1.2 8V
Hey there guys, just a quick question

I am looking at getting a new car, but I still have a few questions

One of them being,

IF I wanted to buy a Corsa 1.8 SRI rated at 123 bhp 122 lb-ft

if, I decided to get the Corsa 1.7 CDTi SRi instead, and get it remapped, it works out at 138bhp 250 lb-ft

which one of them would be quicker?

I don't know whether that is a question that is able to be answered simply...

Thanks!! :blink1: :bigsmile:

The Torque of the diesel would mean it feels a lot quicker. I don't think there would be much in it against a stop watch if we are talking 0-60 sprints but in real world driving the diesel probably has it.;)

I disagree - I think the stopwatch would tell a very different story even in the 0-60 test. You've got twice the torque and it will start from around 2000rpm rather than waiting until 4500 to arrive.

In other situations it will not only feel quicker, it will be consumately and measurably so.

if your constantly 0-60 the petrol will win just about every time. petrol proberly has a higher speed as well.
however in real world driving, such as overtaking, the diesel will leave the petrol in cloud of smoke ;)

Defining quicker, I mean, which will be fastest to get to 60mph.

Personally, I think that the diesel would beat it to 60mph because it has more torque and more BHP, HOWEVER, the stock diesel (98bhp) 0-60 time of 10.5 can be achieved by the petrol with only 88bhp..

I think the diesel will be quicker 0-60 but even if it weren't I'd happily sacrifice a few tenths of a sec in the 0-60 benchmark and have the diesel with a remap in order to get barnstorming midrange muscle.

And I guarantee you would do so as well if you were to test drive a sporty diesel.

Just remember, acceleration doesn't have to start from rest.

What would you prefer?

30-60 (3rd gear) in 10 seconds (petol 2.2 16v), or,

30-60 (3rd gear) 4 seconds (2.2 HDi with remap)?

In my defence (Hdi will appreciate my reasoning here!)

Diesels are heavier, you will typically have an extra gear change, power is over a much shorter spread of the RPM range and finally its a diesel and I own a petrol. ;)

This would be very interesting to see a real world test done. I'm sure it would settle a good few arguements.

The diesel engines are heavier but given how hefty modern cars are now that's less of a problem than it was ten years ago.

The torque is delivered over a different range. I would have had to agree about narrow power band but even that's improving. And petrols that have peak power at 6000rpm are not doing an awful lot below about 4000rpm.

Quite a lot of diesels need an additional gearchange. Mine will stand 60 in second (5300rpm) but it's a waste of time. You're better off grabbing third at 4000rpm.

I have put mine side by side with a friend's 406 Coupe V6. That's the 211bhp 24 valve 3.0 litre.

The petrol V6 did manage a slightly better get away from standsill but the the diesel caught this up and made slight progress ahead by 70mph. Thereafter neck and neck with the diesel actually still nosing ahead. We aborted at 100mph for safety.

But why? In this situation when the diesel is going to be decisively quicker regardless of which performance 'model' we're considering and the fact that the diesel is going to outperform the petrol in all of 'em?

But why? In this situation when the diesel is going to be decisively quicker regardless of which performance 'model' we're considering and the fact that the diesel is going to outperform the petrol in all of 'em?

You know me Hdi i'm all petrol. Plus diesel is more expensive to run.

You know me Hdi i'm all petrol. Plus diesel is more expensive to run.

Your last point is a good one. Despite diesel engines' greater POTENTIAL for economy the overall cost of running one is probably higher than petrol with the fuel cost, cost of the car itself and the frequent servicing, pricey filters etc.

1.8 sri 0-60 8 seconds
1.7 cdti 0-60 10.5 seconds
taken from parkersguide

sorry but i cant see a remap saving 2 and a half seconds off this
so for your 0-60 then the petrol is quicker but i doubt it would be over the 30-70 area

The jury is still out on this one. My 0-62 dropped from 9.1 (quoted by Peugeot, not tested by me though) to a useable 7.6

Last edited: