E36 WILD MAD CRAZY ROCKET MISSILE DRIFT DEMON CAR. BUILDING.

I'm posting these up so I can do a before after thingy...
fu99qs.jpg
2gvlm6t.jpg

Change of plan, thought I could tidy the bodywork up with filler & paint but I have made an unsightly mess of it.

So I'm just going to embrace the tatty & turn it into a drift car, already spent a few £££ on parts so I'm committed.

Just need to figure out how to change the title of this thread...

But that is what modding cars is all about, if we were sensible we'd all be driving standard cars.:)

Damn right! If I have to drive a tatty old car I'd rather have it a bit mad looking.

That being said, if I had a really tidy machine I'd still mod it but try to keep it subtle.

That's just my view...

Right, the "drift style" springs I got from eBay are rubbish, barely any harder just lower. So I am now looking for recommendations for a set of rock hard but still cheep set.

Right, the "drift style" springs I got from eBay are rubbish, barely any harder just lower. So I am now looking for recommendations for a set of rock hard but still cheep set.

You want to choose something that will give pretty good balance while not being too stiff. For drifting, you want to use spring rates that are only a little stiffer than typical high-performance street coilover spring rates. Rock hard will give you very little control.

Over here the drift boys have gone to a more grip suspension setting so they can have higher sideways speed.

Here's the issue; I know of no way to check how hard a spring is until I put it on the car & try it. I can only rely on feedback & reviews.

So I asked a bunch of these "cheep spring makers" on eBay what the spring rates / stiffness ratings are, here are some of the replies:

• !This would not have been tested by ourselves. However many customers have bought these for their cars and they have not had any issues on fitment. I hope that helps and if I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

• hi
    give me full details of your car and we will check what we have that is suitable for your car, and we cab get rates for you, they are not suitable for some models, although they will fit

• I have this specification:
    BMW 3er type E36
    year 90 - 99
    lowering 40/40mm
    without Compact, 4 wheel, M3 and level control
    6 cylinder
    front load: 920kg
    rear load: 1130kg
Ever think that your not being understood?

Here's the issue; I know of no way to check how hard a spring is until I put it on the car & try it. I can only rely on feedback & reviews.

Support the spring in a vertical position.
Measure the length
Add weights to the top until the spring has compressed 1 inch.
The weight (in lbs) is the spring rate for a constant rate spring.

However, this is not easy to do at home.

Last edited:
Support the spring in a vertical position.
Measure the length
Add weights to the top until the spring has compressed 1 inch.
The weight (in lbs) is the spring rate for a constant rate spring.

However, this is not easy to do at home.

You explained something complex in a way my feeble brain can understand.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back