Demisting your windscreen

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you use to clean the mist from the inside of your windscreen?

My cars air con does a great job in around 60 seconds on a cold day but there are still times when the screen needs some help.

I used to use a sponge pad covered with chamois leather, but I think the microfibre cloths are superior.

What do you recommend then?

I just use the car heating system to demist the front screen. Being Swedish in design and taking into account their climate, the fan setup is particularly powerful and very efficient.

QuickClear windscreens are by far the best but I don't have one. Waynne, the cars I've had clear in about ten seconds with A/C compressor on. Perhaps you should get yours re-gassed and replace the cabin filters if it's taking a minute to clear.

QuickClear windscreens are by far the best but I don't have one. Waynne, the cars I've had clear in about ten seconds with A/C compressor on. Perhaps you should get yours re-gassed and replace the cabin filters if it's taking a minute to clear.

On a light mist it is almost instantaneous, I'm referring to when the droplets of water get quite large and the screen is very heavily misted up. (It's typically something you only get in deep winter when the air is quite moist.)

GOD HELP ANY ONE WHO TOUCHES MY WINDSCREEN WITH THERE HAND OR THERE SLEEVE OF THERE COAT!!!

I depend upon my aircon doing the job, but when it is really thick and I start getting dropplets, I do own a £11.99 shamis lether that I use. But that only comes out once in a blue moon! :cheesy:

A dwarf in a fur coat.

laugingemoticon.gif

just use the AC clears in no time

In the ZS I leave a small pot of salt with some rice in, that keeps the inside free of any moisture. Hasn't failed me yet. The Landy as a boost button for clearing the screen, but in all honesty I haven't had the need to use it much.

Spray windscreen with de-icer at night. Clears quicker in the morning.
No a/c, no heated windscreen. Just let the car warm up, and blower on hot for screen setting. All good.

Spray windscreen with de-icer at night. Clears quicker in the morning.
No a/c, no heated windscreen. Just let the car warm up, and blower on hot for screen setting. All good.

I do hope you don't leave your car idling for 10 minutes every morning!:eek:

In the ZS I leave a small pot of salt with some rice in, that keeps the inside free of any moisture. Hasn't failed me yet. The Landy as a boost button for clearing the screen, but in all honesty I haven't had the need to use it much.

Is that first tip for real Stamford? :blink:

Is that first tip for real Stamford? :blink:

Indeed, have a small open pot with fresh salt in it, the rice is to soak up the dampness from the salt, a trick used in salt pots to stop them getting clogged up. Keeps my screen clear when parked up. One night I took it out to put some fresh in, the next morning it was well misted. The MG suffers more as there are no carpets or soundproofing just plenty of metal so gets cold. If you have a car that suffers, try it, nothing to lose.

Indeed, have a small open pot with fresh salt in it, the rice is to soak up the dampness from the salt, a trick used in salt pots to stop them getting clogged up. Keeps my screen clear when parked up. One night I took it out to put some fresh in, the next morning it was well misted. The MG suffers more as there are no carpets or soundproofing just plenty of metal so gets cold. If you have a car that suffers, try it, nothing to lose.

What size of pot? Jam jar size or marmite size or tiger balm size?

(its sad when you start to quote sizes in ''pot size'' and not in volume:lol:)