del sol sir jap import b16a engine vtec not working

topsecret

Wrench Pro
Car
civic lsi b18 beast
hey just bought a 94 del sol sir jap import b16a engine vtec kicks in but not as hard as it should my mate has a civic sir and his kicks hard wen in vtec any ideas? also i have a safc fited do u no how to set these up proper maybe thats the problem? was in the car wen i bought it so dont no wat hes done to it.

I'd say then you should first give it a full service. It might be worth changing the leads. Fill it up with superunleaded, add a redex treatment and take it for a long motorway run. This should help clear out all the crud.

Is the Safc a fuel/airflow piggy back computer? It might be worth taking this off to see if this is causing the problem. It might be running lean or rich causing a loss of power.

2nd to suggest service.the vtec is contorled by oil pressure, if the oil is oil and thick it wont work as well. hopefully prevec will be on latter as theres filter for the vtex as well this can become clogged so the vtecs not coming on properly

thanx for the replys gona service it tomoz wat oil do u recomend if u cud let me no b4 tomorow morning wud b very greatful and also it has a oil catch tank havnt lookd properly but think it has a litle valve on the side do u open it to let presure out or somthing? or is it for somthing else? :)

Not heard of any catch tanks having a valve tbh. Empty that as well. Air should be allowed to escape from it via one of those little filters, or back into the intake where your oil breather used to connect to.

soz was a nut and bolt was looking at it in the dark lol changed a few things serviced it and bought a new arc filter 77 quid ive turnd the arc induction box upside down now so air can get to it better its improved performance lots and u can hear the vtec now aswell but its still not harsh enough wen it kiks in the power seems to come in before u hear the note of the vtec seems like somthing is restricting the power of the vtec some1 help me plzzzzzzzzzzz im gona go mad lol

strange one.If the vtec change over is happening then surely the solinoid is working ok.Can you get worn cams.That safc,is that a vtec controller?

Last edited:
if the filters parcially blocked by gunk then it might not be locking the pin in the correct place.
soilinoid can still open and close as this depends on revs

hey guys thanx for the replys all sorted now took the safc off and its runin sweet.
how much bhp do u think im running got a arc induction kit 300 quids worth and a cat bak jap exhaust and avin cat taken off also got splitfire ht leeds dono wat spark plugs aint checked and ive just give it new oil and fillter and arc panel filter couple days ago

Last edited by a moderator:
170 standard jap spec yes its a arc induction kit has a panel filter not a cone look it up its a expensive bit of kit but very good (jap) had the cat taken off much better vtec is alot better now aswell but not as good as it should be charlie from pro speed told me some1 has messed with the timing bcoz there was a seal broken and advised me to go to some1 that duz crypton tuning. so now i have a arc induction kit jasma 4 2 1 manifold prospeed de cat and a cat bak janspeed exhaust. any1 wana buy a apexi safc? needs setting up tho comes with harness for the ecu and the controler.

sorry mate never heard of them, stuff looks like the gruppe stuff, abet a lot cheaper.
your porb looking closer to 185. its harder to tune the alot of the NASP jap engines as there already in high tune to begine with

hi mate, i havent been on in awhile

my brother has the del-sol also and to be honest, a sir civic has that little bit extra kick in vtec, the del-sol is quick by all means, just not as fast as a sir, same b16a engines i know, but its like the civic sir is tuned that little bit extra

as for the timing, they need to be pretty bang on, kind of right wont do
who checked it??, you need to bring it to a garage and they will pull out the rubber block on the gearbox, and check it with an ultra voilet lamp, but id say its ok

i will say though, when i had the timing belt changed on my type r, it was put on extra tight, and i noticed it was restricting the car, it might be that

seeming you only bought it, change the timing belt anyway, and get all the kit
at least thats out of the way

all the mods you have will make a differance, but remember that the civic sir will always be quicker, the del-sol has a huge motor for that roof and thats alot of weight aswell

pg is right about hard to tune - high performance japs, the best vtec engine to tune and get the most bhp from is the esi 1.6 sohc, the buddys are all the time moddind them and believe it or not they are keeping up with dohc

by the way welcome to torquecars and how much for that safc??
and did you clean out that filter by the vtec solonoid?? they need to be kept free of anything, especially sloggy oil(only built up due to not servicing on time)

hi mate, i havent been on in awhile

my brother has the del-sol also and to be honest, a sir civic has that little bit extra kick in vtec, the del-sol is quick by all means, just not as fast as a sir, same b16a engines i know, but its like the civic sir is tuned that little bit extra

as for the timing, they need to be pretty bang on, kind of right wont do
who checked it??, you need to bring it to a garage and they will pull out the rubber block on the gearbox, and check it with an ultra voilet lamp, but id say its ok

i will say though, when i had the timing belt changed on my type r, it was put on extra tight, and i noticed it was restricting the car, it might be that

seeming you only bought it, change the timing belt anyway, and get all the kit
at least thats out of the way

all the mods you have will make a differance, but remember that the civic sir will always be quicker, the del-sol has a huge motor for that roof and thats alot of weight aswell

pg is right about hard to tune - high performance japs, the best vtec engine to tune and get the most bhp from is the esi 1.6 sohc, the buddys are all the time moddind them and believe it or not they are keeping up with dohc

by the way welcome to torquecars and how much for that safc??
and did you clean out that filter by the vtec solonoid?? they need to be kept free of anything, especially sloggy oil(only built up due to not servicing on time)
hey prevec thanks for the reply cars running sweet im looking for 100 for the apexi safc i seen somthing in a jap mag where some1 put type r cams in a b16 or b18 wud type r cams fit in the b16? im looking for more power wana hit somewhere around 200-220bhp wats the best way to do this without changing the engine coz i luv the b16 so so much lol

Hitting 200-220bhp with the B16 can be done, but will take some work. Get rid of the 4-2-1 manifold and get yourself a 4-1 instead. If you want Type R cams then look at taking parts from the EK9 (Civic Type R) as the engine is the same. After this you should be closer to your target. Once everything is done you can have it remapped as well.