D16Z6 mods

scmaverick

Wrench Pro
Car
A4 1.8
Hi guys,
I got a civic 95 EX vtec, its all stock but the air intake which has the tube with the conic filter. I want to start some tune up for this engine as I really believe I can give me a little more hp for some extra bucks.
So far was wondering what could be changed in small parts from this engine so that in can increase performance a little bit (say 10% is my top high).
Air filter (got a generic one from an emergency, thinking of K&N?), spark plugs, engine timing, cables, oil?, ....??
I-ve checking some other threads where they recommend tuning exhaust, headers, suspension coilovers, brakes, but that's too much for now need to save some (I just completely replaced the gearbox and fixed some oil leaks) :lol:
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

hi mate, your ideas are pretty accurate if your money is very limited at the moment, you could also think about new cams or change clutch with a lighter flywheel both mods are slightly cheaper than a full exhaust system and will probably give you more umph than that. also if you are after speed, simply lose weight, throw the back seats etc :cheesy:

All looks good to me but I would stick in a K&N panel air filter if it were mine unless you really really wanted the induction roar.

Exhaust, de-cat, 4-1 manifold, coilovers, would be where I'd start. For us English users, the Civic in question is an ESi.

The D16Z6 engine is very good for boosting (turbo). It's a SOHC VTEC so you still get a nice revvy engine, but it's not so high compression as DOHC VTEC engines (e.g. B16A2, B18C etc).

Hmm ok, I'll look into that, manifold and exhaust.
However, I do feel the lack of torque, at low revolutions it doesn't seem to respond as well, what do you know of the torque in this car?
By the way, I just replace the air filter, K&N, the engine emits a nice muffler sound now and I do feel it breathing, but not much :p
I have to change the speed sensor also, looks like it broke after the gearbox change.
But so no sparks for now.... and turbo is way too expensive, perhaps will think of a super charger, but later.
Thanks

its a honda it doesnt have any ;)
the k&n filter wont make much differeance other than the noise. the stock honda airbox normally is quite good.

Hahaha that's what I thought, but whatever.
And yes, but I prefer this KN filter then the small paper filter I had before :p

Just make sure any induction kits are fitted correctly. Hondas benefit from a cold air intake as well. Instead of increasing torque, lose weight.

Ah, reminded me there Prince. Today im stripping the car so ill put some pics up soon, tell u about performance differences ( if there will be any:cheesy: )

I just washed the engine and painted the valves cap in blue, it looks much better now :p
Will change the exhaust headers, stainless steel in chrome, probably in one month, will let you know ;)

Exhaust, de-cat, 4-1 manifold, coilovers, would be where I'd start. For us English users, the Civic in question is an ESi.

The D16Z6 engine is very good for boosting (turbo). It's a SOHC VTEC so you still get a nice revvy engine, but it's not so high compression as DOHC VTEC engines (e.g. B16A2, B18C etc).
the good old ESI
thats what i had in my coupe

4 branch manifold, full exhaust system, plugs, leads. induction kit, especially induction kit, esi love them, theyll scream their heads of to 9,000 rpm

a good ESI fitted with the above mods will not be as fast as a dohc, but close enough, unless the dohc has the above mods,

1st remember all the up grades ya giving the engine it still needs to breath.Nice cold air intake and nice 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust to get rid.Thats where id start.Then kick off with other engine mods.

Yeh, as I mentioned Im planning to change exhaust headers for stainless steel in 4-2-1 design.
About the intake, how can I ensure it gets cold air, any new accesory for that?

Regarding sparks was looking into that and they don't seem expensive, what do you think of these plugs?
http://www.boschautoparts.com/sparkplugs/Pages/PlatinumIrFusion.aspx
part number 4501 for 1.6 sohc vtec, is just US$30 hehe

and magnecor leads, they are way too expensive, will have to leave it for later. Unless you can recommend any other cheaper make?

When you mentioned air filter,is that with a cone type on the end sitting in the engine bay because a aint a fan off them.surly the suck hot air in from the engine bay.

mmmm well I dunno, it doesn-t have anything that you don-t see in the picture, the aliminum tube and the filter that-s it, is there any special artifact that will cool the air or so?? sorry Im ignorant :p

some people do the cold air feed buy making a hole in the front bumper with a tube running up to the cone filter or as you see in the picture the filter will be a whole fitment from bumper to filter if that makes sence..Not the fan of a whole cut in the front bumper.Rather do it so its hidden behind the bumper or near the arch.You need as much cold air getting sucked in to the cone filter as you can.

ahhh if that's what you mean then yes, it looks like the car has an entry from the front of the bumper from stock, where it takes air and with a tube redirects it to the air filter location, as the cone air filter that it has now was placed in the same location of the original filter then it is using this "cold air" entry by default.
What I'm thinking is on creating like a box for the filter so that it doesnt take hot air from the headers and the engine.

By the way, so Prince you recommend header in 4-1 for better high end, but I use this car for regular purpose also, like going to work, to the market, beach, etc.
Is that going to affect my low end performance? maybe gas consumption? If you say it will not and instead will improve everything I'll take it for granted.
Thanks

Hello people,
I just got out of the dynamometer to see what are the values of the civic in stock, only with the customized air induction, and here are the numbers:
mx power: 97hp
mx torque: 92ft-lb

So,what do you think? is this ok or what?

By the way, I have decided to put 4-2-1 headers to balance rpm and 2 1/4" exhaust pipe in stainless steel, for next month maybe.
Cheers

97 hp from a 1.6 vtec civic, na thats wrong
honda can squeeze 110bhp per litre from their engines

in saying that dyno cant always give proper red outs
that engine should have 135 bhp at least from an esi

Hello people,
I just got out of the dynamometer to see what are the values of the civic in stock, only with the customized air induction, and here are the numbers:
mx power: 97hp
mx torque: 92ft-lb

So,what do you think? is this ok or what?

By the way, I have decided to put 4-2-1 headers to balance rpm and 2 1/4" exhaust pipe in stainless steel, for next month maybe.
Cheers

97bhp from a D16Z6??? Either the dyno result is wrong or you do not have a Z6 under your bonnet.

hey that's real power applied directly to the wheels, not what really comes from the engine, we are talking of 20% loss from the force applied to the flywheel, the clutch, the gearbox and finally the wheels.

even then, the loss is more than 10bhp which seems like a lot. u said u use it as a daily driver too but when u go shops etc. u dont want to be going fast do you?:amuse: that's why it is still sensible to put 4-1 since when u do want to go fast ur keeping it in vtec mate!

right, I wanted the dyno measures to see at which point the car started, now I will be making the mods and after that will see what was the gain.
Thanks y'all for your comments.