CVT life

I am not sure they all do, it depends upon the CVT we're considering. Nissan's one which was used in the UK P11 facelift Primera (I think you guys call it Altima) was whiney and frankly, not very pleasant to drive for the reason you state.

I am still fond of the torque converter style automatic transmissions, we're seeing 6,7 or even 8 forward ratios now and with electronic management and torque converter lock up in steady driving they're not far being manual models with fuel economy.

I'm fond of the fixed ratio one gear only Tesla Model S. Even that is a little whiney under hard acceleration. Possibly due to total absence of engine noise. It's not a problem anyway given the tiny amount of time you actually need to be accelerating.

My wife has a 14 Prius C and the CVT whines a little, but that is the smoothest car I have ever been in. There's no shifts to not feel (err... um you get the point) and the fluffy suspension rides like a dream. Sometimes it's wierd because feeling the shifts is so part of the car experience that not feeling them is almos unsettling.