Cut up on a roundabout again

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Yet again I have been cut up on a roundabout. Why do cars on the inside lane feel that it is ok to drift into the outside lane on the roundabout or worse still cut over to the left lane on the exit.

It was only with some heavy braking and honking that I was able to avert an annoyingly frustrating crunch.

Is this just me or does it happen to you as well?

happens all the time. when driving the pug used to carry the tyre iron under the passenger seat - came very handy for brandishing at other drivers when this sort of nonsense occurred.

Glad it is not just me, it's so frustrating. Didn't these people learn to drive? It seems to be the same mentality as those who have to park right outside a shop so they don't have to walk 50 yards or so!

Hi Waynne,
I understand this problem too and , though I have to say that you too may be at fault as I dont know how you drive or where you were This happens a lot everywhere. Most of the problem seems to based on the fact that people are not instructed as to the correct positioning for your vehicle on approach, entry and exit on a roundabout because (at least in 1974-80) they are simply classed as junctions and often a Test takering learner would say that he/she had not been on one on their Test
There can be controversy as to which is called the inside. I feel that as the Code states Keep Left then the inside is the left lane and the outside is the right one. Therefore, if going left or straight ahead then the car ought to be in the left side. If turning right then on the outside and indicating!!
Many try to keep the car in as straight a line as poss so go from right to left to right even going ahead. My basis rule to learners was; if turning left, left side indicating left Going ahead then keep left and for any off road that was before an imaginary clockface 12 keep left till turning then indicate intent. If off road was after 12 then you are turning right and should enter indicating so then when approaching any off road at say 1 then come SAFELY towards left (MSM) with indication of intent. Perhaps if everyone obeyed these suggestions then it would reduce potential and actual accidents. Unfortunately we ALL need to keep our wits about us everywhere. Do as the Police. Right gear, right speed, right aspect at all times.
Yet again I have been cut up on a roundabout. Why do cars on the inside lane feel that it is ok to drift into the outside lane on the roundabout or worse still cut over to the left lane on the exit.

It was only with some heavy braking and honking that I was able to avert an annoyingly frustrating crunch.

Is this just me or does it happen to you as well?

My basis rule to learners was; if turning left, left side indicating left Going ahead then keep left and for any off road that was before an imaginary clockface 12 keep left till turning then indicate intent. If off road was after 12 then you are turning right and should enter indicating so then when approaching any off road at say 1 then come SAFELY towards left (MSM) with indication of intent.
that was how i was taught unless the road marking told otherwise

Do as the Police. Right gear, right speed, right aspect at all times.

not even commenting on that, i have witnessed some very dangerous driving by police
but that is for another topic

happens all the time. when driving the pug used to carry the tyre iron under the passenger seat - came very handy for brandishing at other drivers when this sort of nonsense occurred.
like ur style, used to b a hammer for me lol, nw i just stay as far away as poss.
the one tha always happens to me turning right and drivers who are supposed to b on the outside come straight across the front of me. really gets my goat !!!!!!!! :-x

The roundabout lane indiscipline is extremely common. It winds me up immensely. I just expect it now and sit back watching them make tw**s of themselves. You can guess they're going to do it based upon their conduct during the preceding few miles. That way I'm pleasantly surprised when someone does take the correct line and doesn't choose to perm 2 lanes from three. Often accompanied by ambiguous (worse still, contradictory signalling).

Don't get me wrong, if the road/r'bout is clear then it's yours or mine for the taking. Use whatever line you prefer for vision and stability.

The other things I really detest are the silly sponsored landscaped roundabouts. They completely destroy your through vision on approach. Even if you're not planning to take it at 60mph (and we've all done it at times, let's be honest) it's quite nice to know what's on the other side a little earlier. Information is everything.

I go through phases of swift and press on driving at times - it doesn't hurt to do this - maintain a commentary whilst doing so to keep your skills and observation in check.

Generally I take a more laid back approach to driving, obviously still get on with it. I don't, for example, amble along at 49mph on a 60 road and hold up other drivers for no reason at all.

I go through phases of swift and press on driving at times - it doesn't hurt to do this - maintain a commentary whilst doing so to keep your skills and observation in check.

interesting idea, everyone sees you talking to yourself and thinks your crazy so gets out of the way, :p

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to Glabus there is a point that my positioning has something to do with it and I outline the following typical example which actually shows that right is sometimes wrong.

There is a mini roundabout with Y shaped exits (single lanes all round). The roundabout is placed nearer the top of the Y. If you are entering from the bottom of the Y and turning right you have 2 options.
1) Cut over the roundabout itself
2) Go wide making sure you keep off the roundabout.

If you do 1 then chances are an over eager car coming from the right executing a right turn will clip your rear. If you do 2 then drivers coming from the top left will assume you are turning off (DESPITE INDICATORS to the contrary) and start to pull out on you.

Incidentally if you do a U Turn on this roundabout you invariably get people pulling out on you again despite indicators.

I put the case forward that due to the idiots failure to use indicators more drivers are taking position angle and speed and ignoring your indications.

I am quite happy that several people have read and replied to my post/s.
I enjoy debate, especially about road safety.
sbsubaru thinks that you seem crazy to use the Advanced driving commentary routine to keep skills alive I say be a man and try it pal but perhaps have an informed driver as a passenger to note what is correct and what you are doing wrong (of course you need a mate who IS informed!!)
Waynnes mini R/about seems like one we have near me and I suggest that the best solution for them both (and others??) is to get rid of them. They serve no purpose and often cause confusion. Itoo have had someone cut across my front when I was going straight on and they were turning right. Unfortunately most drivers now think indicating is sissy or something! The HC asks you to let ALL roadusers know your intent That includes peds and cyclists etc.
Anyway guys & gals Keep the debates going. I do not like being rude but there does seem to be the usual quota of inconsiderate ( being polite you see lol) drivers here as on the road Do not expect immediate responses all the time and.. IF you are too rude I will not reply (whats the point?? My attitude will not change yours though I might hope it would) Finally, can you all comment on an idea I have recently put to PM. Drivers re-tested after say 3yrs? Would you agree that it would help road safety to be 'forced' to keep up a standard? Or are you afraid that your 'freedom' to do as you please is at risk? I WOULD like to know the consensus

glabus: note my answer being tongue in check, see the smilie at the end. always open to a good debate and discussion, believe we will continue this on another thread.

OK ,
You need to forgive me then!
As a new poster I may need to get used to 'symbols/isms' in replies
I often find that modern shorthand (txt) and 'buzz' words escape my knowledge. Quite some time ago someone said they were a doylen? I didnt know what it meant at first!
If you are open (as I hope others are too) then DO try the running commentary. To get EVERYTHING observed both as seen and done is quite difficult to do quickly AND your brain SHOULD be doing that processing in auto mode as you drive. Let me give you an example of driving technique that I discovered and used on learners.
Park the car normally at the roadside in preparation for a turn in the road (NOTE: not 3 POINT TURN!!!!) Now say to yourself (preferably aloud) what actions you are going to do in the form 1,2, 3 ........
Done it?
Did you get FIFTY????
I would be amazed if you did. However to actually perform this Test requirement properly thats how many seperate actions and observations I made. (Missing some would be a failure!!)
The problem is that we do many automatically as 1 has to be done before we do 2. and we do not THINK about it we just do it.
Therein lies many of todays' motoring probs. We do not think about what action/s we are taking. WE know we are turning but we simple forget to let others know the same fact and do not indicate or take proper position. Even some Advanced tuition states that a signal is not necessary as : there is no one behind us (Q????)
OK thats it for now
glabus: note my answer being tongue in check, see the smilie at the end. always open to a good debate and discussion, believe we will continue this on another thread.

not being an imbecile but whats a doylen?
think i will wait till back in the UK for this, in Vietnam believe it will be some time before ADI's are around, at the moment you just have to go for it. the rule is that you must make way for the bigger vehicle, thats it. have been off down the verge a number of times as 18 wheelers come flying along the wrong side of the road - just flashing the lights to say 'get out of the f'ing way' - scary!

Hi,
We DO seem to be setting up a debating society (anyone else want to join us???)
WHAT are you doing in Vietnam?
Working I guess!
Do you have the Subaru there and are the roads desert tracks or proper highways?
I am quite fasinated by this
Your comment about being run off road reminds me of a learner who had travelled extensively who told me that as you travel further East from UK the driving/drivers get worse! someone also told me that a Driving Test in one Arab country consisted of going forwards for a few yards then reversing (in a straight/ish) line was it.
I found that, left alone; several pupils from eastern country areas confirmed that belief
OK enough for now. Look after yourself out there. Those 18 wheels could make a horrible mess!!

KB Oh sorry. A doylen, if spelt right; is or was apparently a term for a fool, clot, idiot, ninny Twxt etc etc. No doubt long superceded by another txt signature

theres a roundabout here in cork, we call it the magic roundabout, always crashes
there has been talks of putting different coulor rd markings so people know what lane to stay in

do you think this is a good idea??
i know how to use 1, but unfortunatly a lot dont, would coulored markings make sense?

same thing is over here mate. rather than coloured markings the lanes themselves move around the roundabout.
so if im going right
the right hand lane works its way round to the left for you coming off

thats over here too, were not that far behind ye lol

but what catches people here is, its grand having markings foillowing the roundabout, but theres 5 other main rds joining it, the markings xcross over each other and people cant understand them

i can because i know my lane dosent take a 90 degree turn just suddanly, my lane is shaped to the roundabout, but trying to teach people that is another topic

Hi,
Jokingly...... maybe the 'correct' lane could be black with a happy face logo!
and the other , Red with a skull.
Seriously........ I doubt that ANY markings will be of g8 benifit. Drivers will still ignore them
A recent article from some Safety group suggeted similar schemes to cut road accidents/ deaths.
WHY does no one realise that the probs are with driver attitudes and skills. Race drivers can do 200mph up the arse of the car in front without (normally) incident. Why is that?
Because all the drivers KNOW what the other is doing and can see the point where it is possible to overtake etc
You cannot have that trust on ordinary roads . there is ALWAYS some prat who believes that it can be quite safe to overtake into the path of an oncoming car because he/she has ample time to get back in (twillocks!!)
I cannot make comment as to your r/about without knowing more about its location etc.
Often these bloody things are put there supposedly to stop accidents and near misses only to actual axacerbate the prob/s.
If you can get back to me with more details. (Can pics be uploaded???) I will certainly offer MY view/s

Hi,
We DO seem to be setting up a debating society (anyone else want to join us???)
WHAT are you doing in Vietnam?
Working I guess!
Do you have the Subaru there and are the roads desert tracks or proper highways?
I am quite fasinated by this
Your comment about being run off road reminds me of a learner who had travelled extensively who told me that as you travel further East from UK the driving/drivers get worse! someone also told me that a Driving Test in one Arab country consisted of going forwards for a few yards then reversing (in a straight/ish) line was it.
I found that, left alone; several pupils from eastern country areas confirmed that belief
OK enough for now. Look after yourself out there. Those 18 wheels could make a horrible mess!!
Yep, out here working, over 7 years now. due to the poor rail netwrok almost everything goes by road - only 2 years ago was it mandatory for motorcyclists to wear helmets! before then, myself included, no one bothered - although you would never catch me on the 'highway' on a motorbike, helmet or not. The rule for truck drivers is, if you run a motorbike over then make sure you back over them again to make sure they are finished otherwise the hospital costs are too high!!!!

Suabru in the UK, have drivers here but on the weekend drive myself have a Mondeo Titanium. could do with some bullbars but they were banned 5 years ago for annihilating pedestrians and motorbikes. Roads are almost all tarmac here - note when top gear showed the highway in Vietnam it was on a quite day, often trucks are everywhere and they just drive straight in front of you. Night is even more adventureous, buffalo draw carts and old motorbikes = no lights. exciting to suddenly find them in the middle of the road!