Custom car project

charger69

Pro Tuner
Car
Opel Corsa B X14XE
Good news:
A friend of mine agreed to let me his tools, and help me with welding, cutting, and other things about me starting a custom car build. but he is suspicious if electric welding will be strong enought to weld a chasis for a car. The Idea is to build something in Caterham seven style, except driver's position to be more forward, might be a 4 seater and hard top of course. what are your opinions on this, especially old-git, I could use so many advices from you.

1st step: build a rectangle chasis, 1 meter wide with 2 meters length supposedly.

I'll be getting materials from junkyards to get away cheaper, so first thing first, I'll see what's there and will let you know and your advices for it.

Howdo. I don't know about electric welding but my brother-in-law is a farmer, and whenever they have to do any repairs on the big heavy farm equipment I know they use some kind of gas welding.

that's what my friend told me, gas welding is better, but since we don't have it i'll look up to the electric welding if possible. everything will start on a simple rectangle chassis

Hmmmm, ambitious :)

I suggest you decide on what you want to build then design the chassis to suit. Not something I would like to take on as my first project.

All welding methods are fine for chassis fabrication, providing the welder knows what he is doing.

Do you have to comply with any construction regulations in order to use the vehicle on the highway?

Well in my country they ask more about ecological standards, I will have to seek about it as well, but so far I know this is something very rare happening in my country (building custom cars) so there are many holes in the law, anyways during the build I will consult engineers, since the law's aren't so specific here about custom cars.
Well I have in my mind something between the caterham 7 style car, with a closed top (hard top) or something in La Mans closed top prototype style. Anyways I follow the rule of looks following function. Tomorrow will seek at the junkyards for metal profiles.

Unless you have a firm design before you start you will risk getting confused and end up doing many things more than once (I know all about that!).

If working to the form over function criterion, decide on the shape and stick to it. The project will be hard enough without the added complication of mid project body alterations.

Why not look at using an existing chassis as a base and make a new body/interior? This is what most car manufacturers are doing now.

A friend is fitting a Ford Consul Classic body on to a Ford Sierra RS Cosworth chassis and running gear.