Considering engine rebuild ...

ThomasGensamer

Car
Honda Civic 2000 Ex
Hey, so i have a 2000 Honda civic ex with 200,xxx. would it be worth an engine rebuild for cleaning and inspecting sake? i don't want to bore the engine cause its only a D series. If i really want a lot more power ill do an engine swap. i mostly looking to gain dependability and life with a rebuild. But would taking it apart, cleaning, and stuff like new gaskets etc, help it or is it too old and all ill really be doing is burning money. Part of me wants to just to learn, but i also feel like it might be more worth it to by a different engine and rebuild that and start fresh.

What I did was to buy another engine. I rebuilt that and then swapped them over. That left me with a spare engine to modify to a greater power level and so on.

The big advantage of this method is that the car is only off the road for a short time. It was my only car so the swaps were done over the weekend so that I could drive to work on the Monday.

With my current engine and its high mileage, I have some age related issues. Some odd sounds coming from the engine. Would something like Lucas heavy duty oil treatment help smooth out the engine or would it hurt it because Lucas increases the viscosity?

Oil stabilizers do increase the viscosity and maybe help keep an ailing motor going wile you do as Steve said and source a suitable motor to recondition.

Do a compression test to see if the pistons/valve seals are worn, then run some BG244 through the engine to clean the injectors and remove carbon deposits.

Stripping an engine is not worth it for just an inspection and clean up.

Put all the money and effort into a new/rebuilt swap. This will then give a power gain and leave you with that new engine feel you seek!

It's the odd sounds you need to address. Has the oil been changed on a regular basis? Has the engine been abused (hitting redline regularly)? Honda makes some durable engines, but when they start making noises, you need to see what it is. Is the noise from the top of the engine? Or is it from the bottom?

Besides at 200K miles, it could be the rings are going. I pulled a 250K miler from a junk yard, and pulled it apart, changing gaskets and rings only, with a good cleanup (solvent washing all the parts before returning them to service) and installed it in a friend's car. She kept the car for 8 more years before the rust caused the engine to fall out, but it ran the whole time.