cologne V6 12v mods

Pk879

Wrench Pro
Car
granada scorp 2.9v6
RIGHT!!!.....
I finally have my Granny Mk3 estate, its the MK3 2.9V6 12v... 65000 on the clock and naff all rust...
Now what can i do to the engine for more exceleration and overall go.
Ive been researching for a good while but wanted to know if any one had experience with this engine? Or ideas for performance enhancements...

I have there catalogue, .. some very good kit, but i only know a little about engines was looking for what to buy and what to have done.... im looking at about 3000 over 2 to 3 years as a spend budget..

Well you only live in Witham so a little pilgrimage one Saturday along the A12 for a chat with the team, will no doubt reap huge benefits to you're future plans.

Thoughts pls....

Someone has sugested removing the engine fan and replacing with twin sierra electric fans as they think it gives 5-10bhp back....

Is this a good move....

Well, and I await the replies from people infinitely more knowledgeable about this than I, but I don't think you will see any difference for a performance gain by a piffling 5-10bhp. When you look at what you will be laying out for the 2 fans, relays and additional installation work, it just does not warrant it in my opinion. I could be wrong here, so lets see what others have to say on the matter :)

Well.. he seemed adamant. But that dont mean he knows what hes talking about

And to b3 honest in the 2yrs or so 8ve been looking into this project ive not heard that one be for...

The belt driven fan will be via a viscous coupling which engages the fan when it's required due to engine temperature. So it will only load up when required. Electric fans need driving as well, electrical load on the alternator will load up the engine.

Surely someone, somewhere makes a high performance camshaft for this engine. It's a single cam, in the block. The valves are driven by pushrods and rocker arms.

They do... kent cams make one and 8m in the process of pricing up the jobs i wont done but need a knowledgeble eye over my idea..

Twin 57i air intakes,
Stainless free flow ported exhaust/manifolds
Iridium sparks.
Uprated fuel pump.
Boost valve
Kent BHP cam
Ecu remap
Crank breather x2
Uprated brakes and sus

Thoughts...
and thanks for your input mate.

That's a very nice pooking car. I've had a soft spot for the Granada for years.
The list looks good. Iridium plugs won't necessarily produce any more torque or power but I can vouch or their longevity. In my E39 BMW 528i they lasted 60,000 miles happily between changes. Well worth the price - I bought Denso plugs from Opie Oils. I think six cost me about fifty quid including VAT & delivery.

The 2.9 granny has a pretty good torque on it to start with...

How do i balance the two through the build?..

I was planing to start with the air intakes then the exhaust' then boost valve and fuel pump, and tie together with the ecu remap or chip.

Oh and i turned her off yesterday and could hear running liquid?? But nothing coming out from under the car....

And all the bottles and oil seem at the correct levels.???

Think i may ned to check the rad

Possible... but sounded like water being tipped out of a jug all uneven sounding...

Im gonna check the levels again later just 8n case and see if the ac is low perhaps....

I was thinking more of condensation dripping from the AC evaporator. Refrigerant is best done by a garage now - the rules for handling R134a are very very tight. Running water .... possibly in a section of bodywork rather than engine related? OR washer tank leak?

The Cologne V6 is a durable lump, they take a lot to damage them but if you're ramping up the power then cooling will become more critical.

Well there is a windscreen leak... i seriously hope its not filled the car with water... there is already some rust to deal with not sure what to do if it has??. Find it and vent it i suppose then hope it dont rust