cold air feeds and air box mods

MikeG

Wrench Pro
Car
Mondeo 2.5L V6 24V
Hi Guys

Just wondering if people have done anything to add a cold air feed to the existing air filter system.

Or has anyone modded their standard air box to lower temp or increase flow ?

v6 2.5l mk2 mondy btw.

cheers

Yes I done this with a cold air supply kit supplied and fitted by Demon Tweeks to the OEM air box, well worth the expense imo :)

You can see it hanging down underneath the bumper on the left hand side, it actually has about two thirds on show normally but the car was undergoing a huge engine modification at the time.

neo4-1.jpg

Demon Tweeks starting kit but they added accessories to this.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/ducts-ducting-hose

T9 Did you have any probs with sucking in water with the feed that low ?

No problems at all, as I said the chamber that you see is lowered because the engine was removed to have a race lump installed. The CAF on show is usually about 2/3rds on view. This goes up to the cone filter arrangement via a 90mm ducting. The kit was actually installed one cold autumn morning and never put a foot wrong right throughout the winter.
Rest assured if I had any problems then 1, I would not have recommended the modification to you and 2, I am supremely uber fussy when it comes to my car :lol: Anything discovered to be wrong is sorted out immediately :)

one thing I have always wondered with the induction kits and CAF kits is they are supplied with the corrugated hoses surely this disturbs air flow ?

sweet jesus

hmm interesting me thinking logically a corrugated service, would add friction as opposed to a smooth service.

is there any gains to be had by swapping the air flow inlet into the airbox as the air enters low and the throttle body is high so all the airflow has to be sucked in by the engine?

Also Apologies im a noob can the breather hoses be redirected to the air feed instead of after the MAF this would mean I can replace the old air inlet hose with a silicone one to smooth air flow

Not sure as there is a temperature differential. Somebody far more knowledgeable on this subject will hopefully be along in a while to clarify this.

i found the engine pulled smoother after doing it. the way i was looking at it was sucking through a straw or a hose. the pipe i replaced was nearly double the size
2556258558_cf8008ec55.jpg

are you meaning putting the breather pipes before the maf then ?if so remember that oil comes out of these pipes and would coat the MAF. over time these will cause it to read incorrectly
youd be better getting some small filters and just having the hoses venting to atmosphere

Can you vent them through a filter to the atmosphere ?

will this dramatically increase the oil consumption?

cheers guys thanks to you all

A few pics of mine
IMG_1026-1.jpg

IMG_1029-1.jpg

All my own work - The air feed is through the n/s vent in the nismo front which was specifically for this . I made fibreglass ducting straight to the box with a steel mesh to keep birds and small mammals from being sucked up . This box has door seals around the top which seal when the bonnet shuts and that way it is a truly sealed cold box.
The box is made from carbon sheet and covered with gold reflective foil which is really effective. .
Seems to work at the engine never runs hot which is not normally possible on an RB26

sweet very sweet

what kind of air filters are those ?

Also is there a set ratio of air flow to filter size or is it just as much air as possible into whatever size filter?

cheers

They are twin hks racing filters with yellow HKS filter material (which are graded by colour). These are 80mm as opposed to the normal 70mm as it has a balanced greddy induction kit with a larger bore

Theres no point in just fitting a huge (or two) filters on a normal engine and I doubt fitting two pods is wortwhille unless the engine is tuned to a fair level

Mine has two pods as thats what tuned twin turbo rb26 engines have to start with

cheers sleeper I think in my engine bay im going to need to move the battery out the way to get any reasonable size of feed in there

How much of a problem is rain and water getting into the air filter i am worried that if I use one of the lower headlights as an air feed it will get a load of water in there,

Any one had any experience of this ?