Clutching as straws - Transit 2.5 Turbo Diesel lack of power

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
My Transit motorhome, although in a pretty good condition, is gutless. 2.5l turbo diesel but struggles to tow empty trailer over 50mph.

Looking at it a few days ago we noticed an unattatched tube. I investigated today and discovered that it should be attached to the air box. The tube goes to this conglomoration and is the top tube. Is this for measuring intake pressure/vacuum and would it have much of an effect on performance if not attached?

Sorry I can't help so maybe test drive to see if it makes any improvement with the offending hose reconnected??

I will take it for aspin once the battery is recharged, and that is another story. Battery keeps discharging after a few days. Removed all fuses and it still discharges! New battery was bought thinking that was the problem but old battery proved to be fine.

You can fit an earth isolator that would stop the discharge by undoing it when parked BUT would be better if you can track down why it is going flat.

You can fit an earth isolator that would stop the discharge by undoing it when parked BUT would be better if you can track down why it is going flat.

Absolutely, but removing the fuses is about my limit re electric fault chasing. Auto electricians aren't cheap so if i can't fix it an isolator will be fitted. Lack of power is my main problem.

Absolutely, but removing the fuses is about my limit re electric fault chasing. Auto electricians aren't cheap so if i can't fix it an isolator will be fitted. Lack of power is my main problem.

I will be fitting one of those to the Elan in order to protect the lithium battery. Not a bad idea for the motorhome, thanks. Resetting the analog clock in the van would be the only downside but I could live with that :)

I have one of these on the stagea

so simple and a very good immobiliser and you could always wire in the clock via its own fuse .

I have one of these on the stagea

so simple and a very good immobiliser and you could always wire in the clock via its own fuse .

I already have one of these for the Elan, so I could use that for now. As for the clock I will just reset it :)

I had a sever loss of power in an old VW campervan, it started intermittently & got to the point where it wouldn't go up hills. Twas only the turbo though, pull off the induction hose, stick your fingers inside & see if you can wiggle the turbine.

I reconnected the pipe to the air box and that improved performance. I will have to wait until I have the van and trailer fully ladened to assess whether it is man enough for the job.

You are right. Alternator was drawing 7amps! I had replaced the alternator recently but the terminal block was different so I guessed where the wires went. The dash light went out so though it was OK. Changed the wires around and all is now OK.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back