Clio Mk2 Phase 2 1.2 16v tuning

02coled

Wrench Pro
Car
Clio Mk2 1.2 16v
Re: Clio Owners introduce yourselves here.

Hi
Clio Mk2 Phase 2, 1.2 16v.

Mods:
Rip speed mushroom filter (attached to air box)
Piper cross Cold air feed kit
Ecotek CB-26P valve + piper cross filter
Nitro-X programmable ECU mod chip
Uprated fast road clutch
All LED or xenon bulbs

Had no real problems apart from wearing the clutch out although all expected other time really. Suspensions on the way out, wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for road suspension, maybe something slightly uprated, possibly lowered slightly to solely reduce car roll?? Also having a fair few problems with wheel spin, the tires width and grip just arn't up for the car, and in the wet the car can act like its on ice, so any advice on size increase on tires, or as to a product anyone recommends, probably will be buying some basic rims or Renault rims within few months?? Also anyone had any experiences with electric turbos, iv got some "air blowers" from a marine application which are tempting me to see any advantages in performance, doubt full to any at all, and so wondered of any experiences???
Thanks
02coled

Hi o2coled and welcome to TorqueCars. Nice spec list there. Have you tried Goodyear eagle F1's - they are pretty grippy tyres. Maby get some wheels from a 172.

Forget electric turbos. They are a waste of time and money and only give a small boost at full throttle.

I've copied this into your own thread. I think it will get a bit long to stay in the clio welcome thread ;)

i had some 205 45 16 on my 1.2 although it slowed it down slightly it gripped like a dream also this is with a coilover kit but any wider than that and your looking at arch mods because you dont get much clearance on the inside.

Hi o2coled and welcome to TorqueCars. Nice spec list there. Have you tried Goodyear eagle F1's - they are pretty grippy tyres. Maby get some wheels from a 172.

Forget electric turbos. They are a waste of time and money and only give a small boost at full throttle.

Hey man, thanks for that all :), been checking out the wheels, the tyre's do seem rather good, been looking at some alloys to match them up with and the 172 alloys do seem a good option, quite simplistic as well. Getting the fuzz of my tail. On the electric turbo front i might just try it and see if i feel any improvements, id believe from knowledge base that it would improve acceleration yet hinder at full throttle/high rpm :(, anyone know of a cheap device to which i could possibly monitor torque/bhp via one of the pulleys, as i know RPM can be taken so i could possibly monitor torque from before and after etc???
Anyone else got any simple/cost effective mods for the clio??
Many thanks
02coled

i had some 205 45 16 on my 1.2 although it slowed it down slightly it gripped like a dream also this is with a coilover kit but any wider than that and your looking at arch mods because you dont get much clearance on the inside.

Hmmm don't know as to if i would go as far as a "coilover suspension", although with standard type suspension would 205 width still fit?? I do definitely need so larger width tyre's as its becoming a real pain :(.
Thanks man
02coled

yea 205s would be perfect but like i say any increase on diameter and you will lose a lot of speed! what did you have in mind?

Looking at comparison tables i would like to keep overall dimensions the same and so go from current 175 / 65/ 14 to 205 / 35-40 / 17. Any recommendations or alterations?
thanks
02cold

yea that would fit perfectly,but it might not look so good unless you lowered it slightly and also look at getting your speedo re-calibrated ecspecialy with it being a 3" upgrade!
i had some bk 166's on myne they looked quite smart!

I would be probably using Renault Clio cup 172 alloys anyhow, and as looks aren't exactly my main aim it might be fine. Although i am going to be sorting out the suspension soon, as it is on the out sadly, although i wouldn't be dropping it by much i think max i would go to would be 35mm, as this would purely be to reduce rolling on cornering (which on the point seems to be very excessive, along with allot of noise leading me to believe springs/and or shocks are near finished) although would i get any issues with lowering with such large wheels (although the diameter will be the same)?? Did you alter your suspension?
Any estimates on speedo recalibration costs?
Thanks mate your being a great help :)
02coled

Last edited:
no a 35 drop would be fine mate but any lower and you will get arch rub with or without people in the back. i thought the 172's were 16"? with regards lowering and a profile of 35-40 it would be noisy too. calibration shouldnt set you back any more than 40 quid or so take it to a aproved diagnostics centre.

no a 35 drop would be fine mate but any lower and you will get arch rub with or without people in the back. i thought the 172's were 16"? with regards lowering and a profile of 35-40 it would be noisy too. calibration shouldnt set you back any more than 40 quid or so take it to a aproved diagnostics centre.

moz-screenshot.jpg
I don't really want to lower the car, but sadly iv found it hard to not find uprated/sports suspension that isn't lowered by some sort i understand this is to reduce amount of roll. Also i'm rather large 6ft3 17-18stone, and most of my friends/family are the same so fully laden the car is going to ride rather low. Any ideas on some no lowered suspension?? Also yeah they are 16" as standard but they do, do 17"s well they was the ones i saw on eBay anyhow, not really bothered by size of the rims, just something better than the old mild steel wheels :). The calibration sounds worthwhile. Noise created by vibration is that??
thanks again
02coled

yea with a low profile tyre is noisy and if the suspension is hard to! the clio mk2 phase 2dynamique, it says on there spec list for that model that it has sports suspension as standard so maybe check that out.

Right ill be sorting out the wheels soonish. Back to my previous thoughts, i understand how the electric turbos could be underpowered because i would have to use a 12v one. BUT iv been bored and thinking about what i have, and what IF i used my current 12v - 240v inverter and a 240v blower fan. This would increase RPM and overall volume output. Now to my next theory how much volume of output would i need. My idea is that cylinder size times by max rev's. Would give maximum possible value of gas entering the cylinders at max RPM and that i would need to get a fan blowing more than that???
Its just something i'am considering tinkering around with. Doubt i would keep it on the car but for fun purposes you know :)
02coled

Firstly you do not want to be blowing air into the engine when you are off throttle. The car will assume the throttle is still open and you will keep accelerating.

Extra airflow has to matched with extra fuel. Most cars will do this automatically to a point.

Pulling more current puts more pull on the engine so you are robbing power to gain power (this is also a point for superchargers and to some extent conventional turbos.)

If the fan is not pushing air in faster than the engine pulls it in then you will see a drop in power.

There is more to take into account than cylinder size and revs, the engines efficiency and flow characteristics of the head and valves will affect the CFM of air flow. Get an airflow meter and take a reading - it saves the guess work.

New question. Location of the IAT sensor on the Clio 1.2 16v MK2?? Wanting to replace prog mod chip. Been looking around the engine bay, found the coolant temp sensor and pressure sensor but nothing else :S. Ill take some pictures if anyone knows the rough area. Thanks
02coled

I responded in your other thread, I am guessing you want to fit a stupid little resistor.. Tried it, only used more fuel for me ;).

Will get you some photo's though if you want to try it :)

Would using a exhaust from say the Clio 172, increase flow and hence performance on my car. Iv heard that its generallt more benneficial. Because as much as i like the performance gains of "sports" exhausts the loudness is something i am not happy with. Id like to find something similar to the one sold by K-Tec racing which is rather mutter but gives performance gains still. Id still like a small bit of noise but obviously something of a real nature and not just an exhaust made to make noise.
02coled

Would using a exhaust from say the Clio 172, increase flow and hence performance on my car. Iv heard that its generallt more benneficial. Because as much as i like the performance gains of "sports" exhausts the loudness is something i am not happy with. Id like to find something similar to the one sold by K-Tec racing which is rather mutter but gives performance gains still. Id still like a small bit of noise but obviously something of a real nature and not just an exhaust made to make noise.
02coled

I think you may loose power from a 172 exhaust because your engine is so small. Your never gonna get any real gains from a 1.2 anyway. You can have an exhaust custom built to your taste and style.

OK, what about something of only a slightly larger engine maybe the 1.6? This would i imagine give a larger bore for the full length of the exhaust pipe and then a larger freer flowing back box? Also do the "tune able" exhaust inserts actually work, because know seems to use them. Although id like to keep away from aftermarket parts because otherwise i have to start declaring them for the insurance. Where as i might just get away with an exhaust from the larger Clio as its still standard ;)
02coled

If you change anything on the car from the factory you Will have to declare it. Even if it is only an exhaust of a larger engined car. It still needs to be declared.