Classic vs modern cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the benefits and disadvantages when comparing a classic car with a modern car?

Which would you prefer to have, something that is a classic or a more modern car assuming purchasing price was around the same?

There was a 2016 replica Eleanore Mustang at a motor show. All new engine, injection, nitrous etc... but everything else looked like an original Mustang! I guess that would tick your boxes.

Why not old engine tech?

I prefer classics, the noise, the look it's the whole package. Plus its fun working on them. Things like setting up the carbs are just not something people know about nowadays.

Modern cars are definitely cheaper to run and less hassle which is why I don't own a classic. Perhaps a classic looking car with modern components is the answer.

Why not old engine tech?

Was a PITA tuning multiple carburetors with a bit of garden hose listening to the suction to get them balanced:mad:.V( VS MPI a fuel and ignition computer that can be adjusted/tuned/mapped to have the correct amount of fuel supplied at all different throttle openings ,loads and revs.|B

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer classics, the noise, the look it's the whole package. Plus its fun working on them. Things like setting up the carbs are just not something people know about nowadays.

Modern cars are definitely cheaper to run and less hassle which is why I don't own a classic. Perhaps a classic looking car with modern components is the answer.

With the prices of some classics going through the roof and some through the stratosphere owning a classic can cost nothing other than the outlay but you have to buy right car.

True it only really works as a second/third car but the ecomnomics are undeniable . And classic will continue to rise. The value of my 32GTR has gone up over the last 3 years way more than the cost of the full cost of owning it - ( garage , insurance , service etc ).
The same would likely apply to most classics . I was lucky with GTR values but most classics will break even if you buy a good stock car.

I don't know of any cheap to run classics? Remember the ads when they said starts first time every time - that was something to boast about, not the norm!

They do look great though, and love the idea of taking a classic and putting modern components inside it for the best of both worlds

So what classics would you like to update to modern internal components?

What about a Lancia Stratos or the Rally bred Audi Quattro from the 80's? Would you go back to the 60's or 70's though?

I don't know of any cheap to run classics? Remember the ads when they said starts first time every time - that was something to boast about, not the norm!

They do look great though, and love the idea of taking a classic and putting modern components inside it for the best of both worlds
I have to agree, the words classic and cheap to run don't usually appear in the same sentence.

Honestly, the comparison stops after you look beyond the rubber touching the road. The advances in technology far outpace the minor changes in cars before electric/hydrogen fuels.

I'd keep to the modern car, price being static.

I'd happily have a '69 charger as a classic if I could afford to run one but this country's tax makes that almost impossible. Must move to the States. Lol. I have to say I much prefer running a newer car as they are far easier to maintain and harder to steal etc, but some of the old yankee grunters I would love to own

'69 Charger would not pay much car tax in the UK. As it's older than 2001 it will be based on engine size, and that caps at £230 (at current rates). Once 2019 hits and the car is 40 years old it would qualify for zero tax charge :)