Civic exhaust advice please...

kelso

Hi there, I have a 94 1.6 ESi 2 door civic. It's a pretty tidy little motor, lexus lights, lowered, quick shift gears. I've had it about a year now and it needs some work doing. First on list is exhaust, I have a SS 4" on at the mo, but its just too loud and raspy for my liking. Looking for something thats a halfway house between a stock pea shooter and a big bore. Approx 75mm dia would be good with a sweet note, but one that you cant hear from three blocks away. Got a quote on a couple of sebring exhausts but i was looking at £300 and the only ones that fitted I didnt really like.

So anyone any advice about where to go from here for a selection of exhausts, not more than £250 fitted that will fit my car?

Cheers

Hi kelso - have tyou lookedd at the HKS range - they seem pretty much what you are after.

Did the quickshift kit make a big difference?

Hi there guys, thanks for the advice, have been in touch with road runner motor sport and they only have a 4" and a 3.5", bit on the big size but maybe worth considdering if I get stuck.

Just fired an email off to Graham Goodge Racing about a HKS exhaust, however on the site they only seem to deal with Mazda, Nissan, Mitsey's and Toyotas.

On the quickshift front, was on the car when I got it but I love it, any other car I get into even nice ones that have a long gear stroke just feel soooooooo wrong. Only problem is that every new car I get now I'm gonna have to get a short shift coupling fitted!

hks,greaddy,5zigen,dc anythink like that will sound and lok awsome not sure what hp gains u can get but a custome system is they way to go tbh

Hey there,

Thanks for the post, actually got it sorted, failed my MOT on the noise of my exhaust, so opted for a stock civic exhaust and got a 3" slash tip from Halfords, looks ok and sounds ok, seemed a decent enough soloution although not ideal.

Cheers

John

Yip apparently there's some part about the noise not exceeding the noise from a standard or equivalent exhaust for that make of car. Mind my last exhaust was LOUD, like four blocks away loud, so well in excess, i'm sure if you were a bit over the noise of a stock exhaust then they wouldnt mind.

Just found the regs.
2. with the engine running
a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound a. a major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a reason for rejection

a. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle

b. a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition :shock: