civic diesel starting problem

L

lrsbt

Hello, I am writing this for a friend. She has bought a 2003 civic CTDI 1700 diesel. The problem is that after a long drive of about 50 miles or more after turning car off it will not restart for about an hour or more. Driving short distances locally there is no problem. The car turns over ok but does not start. It has been tested and checked and hooked up to computers and all sorts and cant find any faults.The garage changed a sensor in the turbo at 150 pounds and did not fix it. Any help or suggestions as to what might be the problem would greatly be appreciated. So what will stop it from starting only after a long drive but is ok on short trips? Thank you very much, LOU

ask her after a long drive does she let it idle in the driveway before switching off? If she doesnt then ask her to let it idle a while before turning off (which will cool the turbo) and if it starts up again then it maybe means the turbo is too hot? just a thought.

coolant temp ? if its registering too high on a lot of newer cars then it wont allow the engine to start until cooled.

shaos right as well if on a long drive let the engine idle for a couple of mins. itll save the turbo from premature failure and stop the oil from braking down. oil in the turbo can reach over 1000 degrees. which if the engines suddenly switched off then the oil will be cooked in the turbo

With most diesels you need to wait a few seconds between switching on the engine and starting it. Could be an engine temp/air flow sensor problem.

I doubt an overheated turbo will affect starting but that is a good tip for all turbo owners shao.