Check your lights, people!

Lunchmoney

The Torque Meister
Car
'98 JDM Impreza STI
Two weeks ago (ish) I was driving home from a friend's house and noticed my nearside headlight bulb was out. Being the considerate driver I am I pulled over in a handy layby and changed the bulb, as I carry spares.

Three days ago I spotted another bulb was blown. This time the offside side light. Again I pulled over and after rummaging in my collection of bulbs in the case in the boot I found I didn't have one of those. So after work I stopped at my local motor supply store and picked up some bulbs. In their car park I popped the bonnet to replace the bulb right away. However I needed a screwdriver to release the sidelight casing. I don't have a screwdriver in the car (I thought I did, but apparently I must have taken it out for some reason). The store will fit most small things for a customer, but company policy says if they must use tools they have to charge...., so I could not even borrow a screwdriver from them. I closed everything up and went home to do it there.

On the 5 minute drive to get home I was pulled over by the police to be told I had a taillight out! AGHH three in less than that many weeks!

So I promptly turned right around and went back and bought some more bulbs.

It occurred to me that I have owned this car for just over 4 years and have never replaced any of the lights, so it's probably about time they got done.

Moral of the story - check your lights, they don't last forever and with the nights drawing in (here in the UK) you will be using them more. Don't be that guy that drives around with their lights not working.

I see quite a few cars with headlights and rear lights inoperative and the owners/drivers either blissfully unaware or simply don't seem to care that they are driving a non roadworthy vehicle.

I park my car in a garage and check to see if they are ok by testing them by seeing the reflection on the wall at the front and the closed door at the back.
I carry spare globes and drive belts.

Every time I have to trailer my JB anywhere the trailer lights are checked as well.

A salient reminder. My car just beeps like crazy at me when a bulb goes. There's not a lot I can do other than change it. It amazes me why so few manufacturers have bulb out warning lights, it is the season for one eyed cars!

Over here most motor parts stores will install new bulbs for motorists lacking the ability / know how |B

The trouble with most modern cars is that they are generally so reliable so owners and drivers become complacent and fail to do weekly basic checks like checking all lights, tyre pressures and tread depth,wheel lug nuts, engine oil, radiator,brake, power steer, clutch and screen washer reservoirs and top ups where needed..V(

IMHO all of the above should be part of the license test and females should not be able to avoid them by saying something like my husband /partner does that for them. IF they are behind the wheel then they are responsible to ensure the car they are driving to be in a roadworthy condition no if's or buts.

Way too many years ago I had a Hungarian workmate who asked me why his tyres were wearing on the outsides and on inspection found that they were feathered on the treads so I asked him how long since he had a wheel allignment and he said "veel alignment vot's that":eek:

PS Some cars have long service intervals 6 months,10,000 or 15,000klm's between services and so much can happen between services so IMO the drivers/owners need to carry out the checks I have named.

Last edited: