Cheap second car recommendations for the city

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your recommendations for a dirt cheap second car suitable for city and town running around.

High MPG, low tax, cheap insurance, low running costs and reliability are the order of the day on this one. Something small will suffice with 3 doors.

Over here with the way some drive ,park and tailgate I would buy a big bumper Volvo 240:)

Over here with the way some drive ,park and tailgate I would buy a big bumper Volvo 240:)
I will find one for my daily drive or failing that a 740/760 I think they are great.
Although I am sure I have my rose tinted glasses on.

I second Yugguys suggestion. The yaris is a great little round town car. And good on fuel on long motorway journeys. The only let down is the lack of power going up hills!

The 1.3 isn't too bad aye, although you can't go up long motorway hills in 6th, you need to come down to 5th. To be fair it's not really a motorway car, although it'll cruise happily at 70mph on a dc. The engine is willing but at 1.3 it just lacks torque.

I imagine the smaller 1.4 turbos around these days are good round town AND on the open road.