Cat D; Engineers Report

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I have my eye on a dealers car, he states that the car is a cat D but has no engineers report, How can one of these be obtained? I heard it is necessary to have the report for the insurance, Cheers all

Cat C just requires a VIC check, but not sure on a CAT D. a CAT C is purely cosmetic damage so needs no engineer to check it, all they check is that the cars vin numbers are present and correct. As a CAT D is structural damage, logic would suggest there would need to be a full engineers report submitted prior to the car being allowed back onto the road.
Best bet would be to phone your local DVLA office and ask their advice.

Cat C just requires a VIC check, but not sure on a CAT D. a CAT C is purely cosmetic damage so needs no engineer to check it, all they check is that the cars vin numbers are present and correct. As a CAT D is structural damage, logic would suggest there would need to be a full engineers report submitted prior to the car being allowed back onto the road.
Best bet would be to phone your local DVLA office and ask their advice.

It the other way around PM.
And Cat D does not require the VIC test.;)

cat D is less damage than cat C.
o Category A:

Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

o Category B:

The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

o Category C:

Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. May be repaired and put back on the road. Has to pass an inspection to be re-registered as damaged repaired.

o Category D:

Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. When fixed can be re-registered as damaged repaired.

o Category F:

Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair. When fixed can be re-registered as damaged repaired.