cars for younger drivers

corsabalex

Wrench Pro
Car
corsab need newcar!
im wanting to buy a new car but im going to be 18 with 1 years no claims and if im honest nobody wants to insure me on anything fast but i dnt want to be stuck driving a 1.2 corsa is there a middle man?? something reasonably fast reliable and insurance friendly?
thanks
:)

I'll get kicked to death for this but why not consider a decent common rail diesel? Insurers often make better offers for diesel car premiums as historically people bought 'em for economy only. Things have moved on and a decent turbo diesel, even if only modest in capacity can give a very lively driving experience. Insurers are gradually waking up to the idea of performance diesels, but the technology is well ahead of them at the moment.

VW's Polo TDi 1.4, although only 75bhp, it probably has almost twice the torque of your Corsa. It's also only a 3 cylinder unit, something I only discovered recently, having driven one a few years back and been quite surprised by it.

The owner preferred to refer to it as 'half of a V6' :)

If you chose to remap or chip tune the Polo you could achieve well over 100bhp for around £300 outlay. If you do modify the car then you MUST tell your insurer.

Other than that, look at cars often associated with 'older' drivers. Rover 25s are a bargain, for example.

to be honest and i have thought about this for a while and the best car i can come up with is a mk1 clio 1.8 8v rsi cheap on insurance handles brilliant as standard (but even better when lowered) and is on par performance wise as a saxo vts!!!
i owned 1 of these and can state what i have written above is 100% true but it all depends on whether you like the mk 1 clio style wise??????????

Good call.

Renault's aren't overly renowned for their reliability though.

You could also get a blast from the past Astra MkIII in 2.0 GSi trim. The problem is that most have been soundly thrashed and quite a few smashed up.

these are all good options but im wanting a newer car because in the long run they are going to be cheparer to run as the chassis is in better condition and the engines are stronger right??? thanks for all your opinions :)

Good call.

Renault's aren't overly renowned for their reliability though.

You could also get a blast from the past Astra MkIII in 2.0 GSi trim. The problem is that most have been soundly thrashed and quite a few smashed up.

true the renault isn't renowned for its reliability but i have owned 3 clios a rsi and 2 16v's and the only problem i had was a clutch going on the rsi so to me personally reliable!!!

i would of suggested the mk3 astra gsi (cause i love this shape astra) but it isnt really insurance friendly for an 18 year old plus they dont handle aswell as a clio as standard !!!!

yeah looked at the old fest zetec s but my mate had a fest and the rear arches are rusting on them even on the newer 2002 models. costs bout 200 quid to get the redone aswel so wasnt keen on tht.
herb- am wanting to spend 2500 ish on the car and then insurance on top of tht

The Focus Zetec is also a good car to have a look at. I think all the Focus Zetecs come with sports suspension as standard and they handle really well.

i work with a lad who has a 1.8 zetec focvus and in all honesty i am quite impressed its quite quick handles really well (but it has been lowered 40mm with uprated dampers) looks nice as a standard car

so in conclusion tn69 is right if your after a newer car the focus seems to be the best choice for you but for an older car i will stick by my guns and say the clio 1.8 rsi (its quicker than the focus and cheaper to insure!!!!!!!!!)

Yes your right buddy sorry I thought it was a higher group. The focus is a very good handling car you will be very suprised by it.
jus looked at 1.8 and 2 litre focus's they are nice but alot have got high mileage and they are quite pricey for a low mileage model :(

dnt wana sound rude by im 18 im nt liking the extra doorage ahha. but yeah your rite there are some good ones out there will defo have it as a consideration now. are the 2 litres ripe for tuning or not really?

You get some gains out of the 2 litre unit but as always you'd get more out of a Turbo'd lump. With a set of cams an induction kit with cold air feed and a full manifold back exhaust and a remap you will get a very noticable different in performance.

You get some gains out of the 2 litre unit but as always you'd get more out of a Turbo'd lump. With a set of cams an induction kit with cold air feed and a full manifold back exhaust and a remap you will get a very noticable different in performance.
well id much rather have the rs focus :) unless you were sly and dont tell insurers for me those mods would kill me on insurance right?

hello corsabalex just realised you are from harrogate just 1 question is trotters bar still their??? if so do they still have there tuesday night speacial :bigsmile::toung:?????

Referring to my (much) earlier post, why not look at diesel? Insurers haven't quite yet caught up with the fact that they go extremely well now and as such offer good premiums anyway.

They're also easily tuned via the diagnostic port and can give very impressive torque, power and performance gains for a little over three hundred quid.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!

You MUST advise your insurer of anything you do to change your car's performance.

Most [insurers] struggle to understand the remapping process and generally apply a 'chip-tune' levy of thirty or forty quid at worst. They will explain this to you when you have the telephone conversation with them after your car has been tuned, or remapped.

The 'phone conversation will quite likely be recorded by the insurance company. They [your insurer] will provide you with a revised Policy Schedule and possibly also with a new Certificate of Motor Insurance.

If there's ever any future dispute as to the validity of your insurance then you can refer to the recording of the phone conversation. Under the terms of the freedom of information act 2005 (and subsequent revisions thereto) your insurer has an obligation to provide you with that recording.

In short, so long as you declare everything, your insurer will have no means whatsoever to wriggle out of meeting a claim made by you, or, indeed, a claim made against you.

you could go for a mk4 golf gti 1.8 non turbo, they are a group 10 insurance which aint bad u shud be able to get insured with a years driving behind u,there not that fast but still a big step up from a 1.2 corsa ....

know you dont want to but some 4/5 door cars have lower insurance than there 2 door counterparts. suppoidly seen as less boy racery.

Mk4 1.6 twin cam golfs not bad ether 105 bhp and group 6 insurance. problem could be turning a dcent one up for the £2.5k budget