Car reviews

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is it fair to review a car that most people will use on the road, based on a short track drive at illegal road speeds?

Most mags take cars out on a track and then review them when most of the cars life will be spent on the road carting stuff around. The Astons and Ferraris come out with good reviews but I wonder if that would be so if the reviewer had to live with it for a week as a daily runaround?

Depends on the car. Personally I wouldn't bother with a Ferrari as a runaround as they're bloody uncomfortable and noisy generally. Add in the fact that I can't afford £200,000 for it then you have a recipe for leaving it alone.

I find the reviews where they journalists take long term usage of a car. I still think track testing is worthwhile so that we can get the whole picture.

And, yes, most of probably do exceed the national speed limit at times. I suppose the mags and publishers have to convey a sense of responsibility and not write too much about on-road antics.

The track allows them to tread the moral high ground in print whilst still driving at silly speeds.