Car makers may have to stop doing high power models.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
From what I have heard of proposed EU legislation to reduce the emissions of new cars I can only conclude that the hot hatch will be outlawed! More power = More fuel burned and CO2 is a by product of this burning process so the only way that car makers can fit in will be to reduce the power of the engine and make the engine more economical.

European Union Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas wants car makers to achieve an average emissions target of 120 grams of CO2 per kilometer by 2012.

The 2005 average emission level for new European cars was 162 grams of CO2 per km.

So whatdo you think of all this? How far are you willing to go to save the planet? Will you sacrifice power for economy? Would you rather plant a few trees and offset your carbon footprint? Would you cut down on the frequency and distance you drive?

I've said it before, i'll say it again. Car manufacturers should make all their cars run on bio-ethanol petrol until the hydrogen fuel cell is a realistic alternative. 15% petrol, 85% ethanol, cleaner burn, better performance as proven by the Halfords and RAC BTCC teams.

That would mean instanlty a reduction of 85% in petrol consumption per car for the five to ten years it would take for manufacturers to perfect an engine that didn't need fossil fuels.

Why don't they start with all the *#*#*#*# that the factorys spit out of those massive chimneys.

Then perhaps invest the 20 billion they're spending on nukes on improving the way of life.(and thats just the UK)

If they sort out all the big companys then theres a good chance the cars wouldn't need to be touched.

It seems that all the pressure is being put onto the little man while big companys hide in the back ground and keep earning.

If they do stop making big cars I bet they still charge the same if not more for "THE NEW ECO FRIENDLY CAR".

It'll never get through as the government relies upon taxes gained from vehicle usage to fund its other projects such as invading Iraq and Iran in pursuit of non-weapons of mass destruction.

Given the spend so far there's no way the Home Office will stop the sale of performance cars.

The only slight risk is that we all comply and go purchase new 1.2 litre three cylinder units thereby allow Mr Chancellor to ramp the fuel tax up so we're paying as much as before anyway.

But, what about producing these new cars - clearly a lot a CO2 is going to be created in the process. Further, we've got to dispose of our old ones which are now worthless due to HM Gov legislation. Land fill sites - here we come.

I can really, really really see why this would work so fantastically for the environment and the population!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I'll bet five hundred quid with anyone who thinks it will happen!

Cheers,

P.

PS - ethanol burning still does emit CO2 but it's carbon neutral if the ethanol is derived from plant matter

The law did go through at least european statute books. I dun think it was quite as low as they were hoping but it is still a pretty low target. :cry: At least we can still keep our old cars.

Yep, that's correct. Try and find bio-fuels. I've make an effort at this. The UK is miles behind most of the world in this respect. Once again TOny f*&^%$£ Blair is breeding another cash herd but imposing harsh sanctions in the interest of the environment and then punishing us when we comply by means other than paying taxes.

Veggie oil counts as a BIO Fuel and this is readily available. Although you have to declare and pay duty on it you are doing your bit for the environment and overall it is cheaper than pump prices. Most people run at upto a 50/50 mix but it seems quite safe from what I've heard and been reading about.