Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Car Insurance for modified cars - tips and a guide

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by obi_waynne, 13 March 2006.

1. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    All insurance underwriters HATE car insurance. And any excuse to inflate premiums will be used. As will they use any excuse to refute a claim. This applies across the insurance business in general and stands to reason.

Car insurance is a necessary evil for insurance underwriters - if it was not available then no one could go anywhere in their cars and thereby not be able to afford to buy any other insurance service because they couldn't get to work in order to earn the money required to pay for that service or policy.

Modified cars are difficult for underwriters. How do they quantify the owner/driver? Not qualify - that's different.

You might think that people who modify cars are all intent on going as fast as possible at all times and therefore make the risk/stakes higher.

But, you could argue that driver/owners of modified cars have a better attitude to driving standards and safety. It's fair to say that anyone who modifies their car(s) has an interest in their driving of them. Perhaps they take more care than someone who drives a standard vehicle?

If you have a good history then you shouldn't have problems getting insurance for a modified car with a sensible insurer.

Don't buy on price of policy alone. But don't be ripped off either.

I've been with Privilege for 10 years (it's a Direct Line company) and they have been more than accomodating.

Endsleigh are currently offering me a guaranteed saving of £70 upon taking a policy with them. So, I made the call. They wanted all my details.

I said "NO, you don't need that. I just tell you the price that Privilege has quoted for renewal and you can subtract the £70 from it."

They didin't like that at all. yet that's the offer they made.

2. Prince

Prince Torque King

Northampton, England
    Car:
    BMW E36 318is Coupe
    I insured my first car with Direct Line, then switched to Endsleigh when I bought my Civic. I'll probably be switching to Adrian Flux next term as they seem to more accomodating to modified cars. Endleigh refused to quote me for the planned engine! I enquired about upgraded brakes as well...which actually increased the premium by £100!!

3. dan clio mk1

dan clio mk1 Wrench Pro

i got a clio mk1 1.9D and i have done my pass plus just finished it this sat i only passed on the 18th of august and i got 800 quid off me insurance its now 1300 from 2100 without pass plus and i have rung up litteraly hundreds of the #!#!#!#!ty companies and the thing is they expect u 2 be nice but when they say your car is fast when its only got somethin like 63hp i cant help but say your takin the piss

4. TITAN

TITAN Tuner

London
    Car:
    Honda Civic EG
    who's that with m8 cos im payin silly money 4 a 1.3 civic ( im 17 also) am definatley going to do pass plus shortly but i've got a qoute for that and its still not much help

- i posted this in the other thread but just in case u didnt see it im posting it here also

5. dan clio mk1

dan clio mk1 Wrench Pro

its with ensleigh and try and get a woman they got a sexy voice and make it better for u 2 part with ur money and if u give a bit of charm they go easy wiv ya on ur policy

6. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    :evil: devil woman :evil:
    :D

7. rizza01king

rizza01king New member

8. lyndsey

lyndsey Tuner

birmingham
    Car:
    focus st-2
    they werent not insuring you due to you just passing,its cause they class a moded car as more attractive to thieves,i no its hard as i was treated the same. i just went with adrian flux wiked company, didnt moan about any of the mods and were cheaper than most quotes id had.

9. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Privilege, anyone?

10. Hammy

Hammy Wrench Pro

Car:
    what if i have put a spoiler from a 2ltr zxi model to my car, its a standard part, but its an extra when you bought the car new.

11. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    they might say it increases the value (presumably by the amount that the spoiler cost). And they MIGHT just say that it increases the stealability. But that's splitting hairs.

12. Hammy

Hammy Wrench Pro

Car:
    cheers for that, hdi but i think it would go unnoticed, as i saw a gxi (my model) with it on, so il give it a miss, also my "cat" that lives in my car has gone! so i wont be telling them either.lol

13. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    The spoiler almost certainly will go unnoticed.

A cat is not a legal requirement, it's just that your car is very unlikely to pass the MoT emissions test without it.

If you've removed it to increase performance then you are running a risk of finding your insurance cover void.

Insurers will seek to avoid meeting a claim if they suspect foul play. And they probably won't cover you if you told them the cat had been removed as the car is the technically unroadworthy.

Perhaps you should tell us all your address and registration number so we can ensure we don't ever become involved in RTA with you.

14. Hammy

Hammy Wrench Pro

Car:

Well let me know if your around south west england, il keep out of your way, but i thankyou ever so much for your reply, my boss keeps nagging me to get off torquecars now so il better go! lol

15. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    I'm frequently in North Devon so I'll keep a lookout for your car. 323Fs are getting rare now so when I spot one in that area with a spoiler I'll assume it's yours.

I shall then proceed to give your registration to the police and alert them to the fact that I believe the vehicle may be unroadworthy and not subject to valid insurance.

How does that sound?

Only kidding, I won't go that far. But you ought to let your insurer know of mods just for your own peace of mind as well.

16. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    :lol: - Stop winding him up HDi.

17. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    I know ;)

Genuinely though, insurers will seek to avoid paying out and it's best to make sure they have no leg upon which to stand in the unfortunate event that one is involved in a collision. Otherwise it's a waste of a premium.

18. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    They will use every trick in the book to avoid paying out and the assesors they use are paid to pick up on every anomaly.

We had a close call with a BMW owner who opted for larger wheels, if he hadn't got them from the dealer as an option at the time of the sale he could well have been without cover! :eek:

19. Hammy

Hammy Wrench Pro

Car:
    HDi has got me a little worried now, as i need my car for work! lol. but seriously, i have told my insurance company about my tiny 15ich rims, and my k and n induction, which bumped it up my £7 a month! but the cat will go back on soon for my mot.

20. Rudders666

Rudders666 Torque Master

West Yorkshire
    Car:
    Ford Focus ST300+
    The best insurance company for me since the modifications seems to be Adrian Flux. It's worked out the same as my policy with esure even though i've now installed a high speed gearbox and a 2.8-litre engine, they cover my alloys for free. Superb! :bigsmile:

21. slingshot

slingshot Wrench Pro

nottingham england
    Car:
    mitsi fto import
    A-PLAN are very good for imports, DAN at the THATCHAM branch saved me over 400 quid on me best quote for my skyline.
    worth giving a bell if your on the hunt for a decent quote.

obi_waynne likes this.
  22. seanmgzr

seanmgzr Newbie

portsmouth
    Car:
    mgzr
    What is the point in spending a small fortune modifying your car then not declaring it on the insurance.

All that happens is you get involved in an accident and the insurance company go "hey a modified non standard car " and they either dont pay up, cancel your insurance or give you a pittance. Pointless

I used Adrian Flux until I hit the magic over 25 and now use Performance Direct (with all mods declared)

Sean

obi_waynne likes this.
  23. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    What's the point of having a car and driving it illegally with insurance that is null and void?

24. Mx5

Mx5 Torque Junkie

Mosman NSW Australia
    Car:
    3.8 V6 Holden Skip
    I have a 1.0 Corsa with a Irmsher Exhaust and a slightly diffrent front bumper, first of im with Admiral and my insurance for my first year with them last year was £1300 im a male at 21, for my second year not only have i moved house saving 300 on my insurance i told them that as its a Irmcher Parts its my believe that its how it came out of the factory and they knocked another 150 off my insurance,

Am i right i think i might have made it up lol

25. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    problem is if they were to look into it they could easily find out as the vaux should have the original order on computer incase parts need to be ordered for it and this would show that they didnt come with them as standard.

insurance companies are meant to be made aware of optional extras that were on the car at time 1st registration,

elephant didnt charge me more for my 17s as they are VW ones - well VW group anyway