can this be done

rudling8

Hi

I want to upgrade my ECU on my project car. I what to know if you can have a switch inside the cars interior and link it to the ECU, to switch from an economical setting to a higher performance setting. I would like to know if there are any products out there that can do this or if this can’t be done.

Thanks

Jon

hey and welcome to the site

what is the project car ??

i know that on some turboed cars you can have a switch fitted to increase the boost therefore increasing the performance

mmm other wise a custom ECU would allow a setting to look for a change in voltage over a switch ( ie ether on or off ) to change the rest of the program / map

Hi

I want to upgrade my ECU on my project car. I what to know if you can have a switch inside the cars interior and link it to the ECU, to switch from an economical setting to a higher performance setting. I would like to know if there are any products out there that can do this or if this can’t be done.

Thanks

Jon

There is a product out there that Superchips promote. It goes by the name on Bluefin (or blue fin).

It's permanently connected to the diagnostic port of your car and allows you to choose from two or more engine maps according to driving style.

I have no personal experience of it as I'm not aware of a Bosch EDC15 diesel derivative.

Superchips is the biggest (though not necessarily best) player in the ECU tuning market in the UK.

THe product does, I am told by a friend who uses it, allow you to put your car into any state of tune that has been programmed to the bluefin device.

Allegedly works well.

I imagine that it will work with all European cars after 2001.

Japanese models are a rule unto themselves.

Let the forum know your findings and results.

Rgds,

Paul.

ahh ive heard of the blue fin product but thought it was just for ford engine didnt realise it had become more wide spread
i remember seeing it on a tranny van and it seemed to make a lot of difference to how it drove. and the best thing was that it ran the standard map and then a performance map when it changed back to the factory map there was nothing to show that the ecu had been changed

A decent custom remap is unlikely to be detected by a franchised dealer/service agent. It's quite likely they will (in blissful ignorance) overwrite the whole lot during a routine service, blissfully ignorant of the fact that you've spent hundreds of pounds on a custom map.

Insurance companies are getting wiser. Not that they have a problem with remapping - you just need to declare it to them and get the policy schedule altered accordingly.

Most are accomodating.

Insurers will use any excuse to avoid paying or meeting a claim. Non disclosure is their favourite defence.

My advice...... Map it, tell 'em and then drive around enjoying your new found engine power safe in the knowledge that you can't get caught out.

yeah i did some digging when i was looking for the remap for the bora most companies said that only the best techies would noticed it and if VW wiped the map they would reflash it free of charge. this wouldnt cause a problem with the bluefin if im right as the program is stored on the unit

some insurance companies are looking at the list of mods if its only a remap some are only adding a small premium, goes up alot with other mods on it though, and some were adding nothing to it . i just wish i could remember who was doing it

PG, try Privilege - they're part of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) group. Same bunch that run Direct Line, Churchill (silly dog ads) etc. Privilege's ideal customer profile is the intelligent driver with a lively car. They all have their favourites. If you want a shock, try the Pru (or Egg). The only seem to want to insure drivers of 5 million years of age with 2 million year old cars.

Remember that two seperate maps also means two mapping sessions and there likely to be twice the cost every time you feel like a change or modify the car enough to require a new map.

Personally I would only swap maps when the engine is off although there is an Audi system which allows you to change maps using the cruise control switch.

Power spikes/surges and the reboot with new params surely would wreck havock on your engines health?

PG, try Privilege - they're part of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) group. Same bunch that run Direct Line, Churchill (silly dog ads) etc. Privilege's ideal customer profile is the intelligent driver with a lively car. They all have their favourites. If you want a shock, try the Pru (or Egg). The only seem to want to insure drivers of 5 million years of age with 2 million year old cars.

havent got the 4 year no claims yet for privilege although when i put i looking for next year found that the policys were cheaper, churchill has had too much slagging off on the internet for all policys not just car ones, things like a house blew all electrical appliances and set the house on fire. churchill them came back to them saying they call to the fire brigade was a hoax (after a letter was sent from the police and fire brigade to churchill) and there was nothing wrong with the eletrics this was after he had to pay a sparky to remove the consumer unit. there were pages and pages of complaints about them

the RBS is a waste of time i was a bank customer for 8 years at local branch and was hassled all the time to buy products i didnt want was called in for reviews that did the same, didnt allow dd to go through even with money in the account yet other times they allowed me to take money out even without an overdraft enabled ( yet no money) then charged me stupid for it. argued with me that i wasnt suitable for a switch card, yet i had one for a year already, there reason i didnt match there specifications. when asked why i was told i didnt earn enough, told them to look at the account ( this was before i had a car and house ) and was told if it wasnt sorted out the account would be closed by the end of the day, within the next week i received 4 cards all which were swallowed in the branch bank and they couldnt help me other than order another one direct to the branch.
have since switched to A & L and it was such a nice change over was keep in the loop throughout the whole way have had a pleasent 2 years with them so far.
rant over

anyway back to the topic

the one waynnes on about i think is the APR one it allows multiply maps through the cruise control to be switch via the cruise control
revo also do multiple maps
  • stock
  • 95 ron enhanced
  • 98 ron enhanced
then they allow for custom boost alterations

it know revo works like this
  • switch ignition on
  • select map on sps device
  • insert into diagnostic port
  • wait 10 seconds until bleeps
  • remove sps
  • switch ignition off
  • remove key ( doesnt completely switch off the ignition until the keys out)
  • restart engine
subaru have also used this in the outback and forrester 3 ltr engines where you have 3 maps economy normal and sport

have seen switches on turboed cars which altered the boost pressure to adjust performance

Last edited:
WHy do you need three different maps? Surely your right foot is adjustable enough to take account of road conditions etc.

That right hand pedal is a progressive mode device, not a binary one. ;)