Can anyone be a Race driver

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think we are born to either be a race driver or not? Is this a skill that can be learned or do you need a natural amount of instict/talent?

Do you think that with enough practice and training you could beat the stig around the top gear test track?

Without boasting, I reckon I could be a race driver. Heck, I have looked into it a little too. Going down the tracks in the summer with a few mates to see how I get on :)

Do you think we are born to either be a race driver or not? Is this a skill that can be learned or do you need a natural amount of instict/talent?

Do you think that with enough practice and training you could beat the stig around the top gear test track?

Anyone can be a race driver. VERY few are ever any good at it, however.

Most males believe they are natural race drivers, but most are utterly useless -)

Yup are there not over 10,000 in the UK with racing licences, but how many of them have made it big

and what do you mean with practice? i could beat the stig hands down ;)

Last edited:
I think anybody could become good with sufficiant training, but only those with natural tallent can become champions.

I think anybody could become good with sufficiant training, but only those with natural tallent can become champions.

Talent......plus a lot of luck, determination, single mindedness, luck, money, contacts, help and, of course, luck.

Do any of us reach are full potential, i don't think so. Money, is the reason. Being able to "just do and buy what you want" would expose our individual potential. So in the context of motor sport, you will need, mucho dosharoony. There are plenty of categories of motor sport that are relatively cheap, would £100/200 per race be cheap every month or each weekend?.

I could not beat the stig on his track, i have no track experience, except for one day at Oulten Park driving formula ford and BMW, i did ok, achieved decent times. Had i spent a week there i could have improved greatly. With practise on Stig's circuit, i reckon a very close second..lol.

I think one can learn to become a race driver, after all we never stop learning how to improve our road skills do we?. I think to become an exceptional race driver, is a rare gift for most of us, but, one could still enjoy racing just for the thrill.

Martyn.

you need balls to be a race driver, along with skill,fitness,and daring

i could be a race driver too wezzel lol
i think most males think they can too, the only way is to try it, whether you win or not decides if your any good as 1,

im alright on a drag strip, but curcuit racing not very many places to practice around here so not to good. now if i had the cash and time to go out every weekend/week and practice along with the cash to high the right people and mod the car then i could prolly do decent after quite a bit of practice. racing is like everything else, there are some who will just know where the proper line for a corner is and be able to feel if they are taking it correctly or not, others will have to rely on training and what they can remember. you may not be able to drive like mario andretti or dale ernhart but with time and money i feel anyone can have a chance at competing with them.

'Can anyone be a race driver?'

Simple answer, no.

As said most people think they are but when it comes to being on a track with 29 other like-minded individuals the majority will bottle it. Anyone can drive fast on the road taking risks, put 30 of the same people on the same piece of road that goes around and around and you'll see who has the biggest balls!

After that it is down to natural ability and whether you are a winner or just there to make up the numbers.

The two phrases ring true for some folk:

'Better to have taken part and lost than never to have taken part at all'

'Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing'

Money is the next hurdle and will dictate your chosen path.

I have never held a national racing licence but it is a personal goal, the only thing stopping me is the finances. My wife tells me to do it as she knows what I can do, she has seen me race ovals. One day, but the years are starting to roll on!

i had a a racing licence once.

i did 2 bike races and scared myself sily.

decided i didn't have the bottle needed to compete, so i retired rather than die.lol

talking from my short experience , anyone can race a car , its all a question of how fast and how consistantly . there are lots of people who race cars but just afew who are famous & servived

I'm going for my racing licence next year, I'm entering the 100R into Hillclimbing :blink: So when I've stuffed it into the start line I'll be able to confirm not everybody can be a racing driver! :lol::lol::lol:

simple answer no

the closest i will ever come to being a race driver is go karting but i am quite good at that!! (now anyway compared to my first time 38th out of 40 and 1 of my mates was black flagged:embarrest:):amuse:

Didn't know they had black flags on Mario Kart!
rofl.gif