Cambelt

Pixel

Road Burner
Car
Ford Fiesta Zetec-S
Hey,

I was thinking about going to see a car tomorrow (I don't have one yet, I think I have mislead others into thinking otherwise) which is at 66,000 miles. She states that the belt does not need changing at this time, which I find hard to believe? The book states that the belt needs changing around 60,000 but its usually before then.

Should i be wear about driving the car home 250 miles with a belt that could potentially snap at anytime? Although she does state that it does not need changing?

Help me guys :)

Pixel.

If its on second belt then obvioulsy its ok!

If its on its first belt then how can I tell if its ok?

Can you tell from looking at it?

Does it make any funny sounds?

I always get a new belt on a new car as it is much safer. They just tend to snap without warning unlike a rubber band which perishes and gives visible warning. Keep the engine speed down just in case and avoid sudden changes of REVS.

I would have though it may have been done early - most cars have. Make sure it has seen a garage for a service in the last year though.

if the belt goes then a whooole world of pain is unleashed. damage is detrimental :shock:

if you intend on buying the car and you're driving it back quite far then buy one for the vehicle and fit it when there..... :lol:

I have a fear of them too. My car is not due until 96000 for its first change (I've had it since 30,000) but it's being done next service along with the tensioner. This will be at about 86,000 miles.

The damage doesn't bear thinking about if it fails. It's nigh on impossible to determine its condition by inspection but you'll probably get away with for the 250 mile ride home.

Ask the seller to discount the price of the belt and labour from the purchase price. This won't stop it failing but will at least let you know you got something in return.

Incidentally, what's the Make and model of car?

Don't tell him your buying a turbo. It's like throwing petrol on a fire! We'll never get him to stop telling us how good diesels are now :lol:

My handbook says 96,000 or 75,000 under hard use, but that is for the 406, not the 206. I assume the engines are the same but might just be worth ringing a Peugeot dealer for clarity.