Buying off ebay and auction sites

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Any tips on buying things from ebay and auction sites?

How do you spot the genuine sellers from the scammers? Do you avoid all overseas sellers?

Buyer beware, just like in any other form of trading. However, eBay is biased towards buyers so you have a fair amount of protection if you follow the rules. PayPal offers an extra level of protection and you can also do a chargeback if goods don't arrive or are faulty/ incorrect etc.

When an item that is on offer from many sellers, I go for the sellers with big feedback scores and then look at the negative comments as these are far more telling than the positive ones.

If spending more than around £100, I look for local sellers that will allow item to be picked up and I pay cash. That way I can check item is as advertised before parting with the hard earned.

It may be the area that I deal in (mainly car stuff) but I haven't had any issues buying. Had a couple of chancers try it on when I have been selling (they failed, by the way).

eBay is populated by people so you get the same mix as elsewhere. Most are honest but a few aren't. Most of the dishonest ones are obvious by the listing and feedback. I usually make email contact prior to bidding with a question or two to gauge them.

I would have found doing my car a lot more difficult and expensive if it wasn't for eBay.

I tend to email the the person before I bid/buy as I know if I don't get a reply or a respectable answer to my question, I'd rather give it a miss and maybe pay a little more for better customer service and advice. I hate seeing something I really want, emailing them and they know nothing about it.