Buying a car

Jim

Torque Junkie
Ok i've finnaly decided that i want a civic (no saxo anymore). Next week, if the one im wanting is still for sale ill go buy it. But i want to know if its a good deal or not.

I cant exactly spend that much on my first car so the price is £750. It has 12months MOT, which is always a good thing while buying a car. However there is no road tax. Insurance, as a named driver is costing me 96 quid a month!

So i will probably go out and see it next tues or wednesday, any tips on what i should be looking for? The car is already fited with alloys and CD player.

(oh its an L reg LSI, hatcback, navy blue)

Hi Jim, £750 for any 'L' plate Honda with 12 months MOT is a reasonable deal. Be sure to check for any obvious signs of rot though. If it is going round the arches or sills, you can bet its messy somewhere else. That insurance seems a little steep too. Whats the engine size and how old are you? (if you don't mind me asking :wink: )

Its a 1.4.

Aye i thought it was a good deal, thats why i am hoping it wont be sold by next week.

Oh, 17 ;) tick all the wrong boxes eh.

Mmh, its just too expensive for a 13 year old car isnt it. That premium is also before ive told the insurance company that its modified :(.

I think im going to have to settle for something like a punto, civics seem awfully expensive to insure.

Don't laugh but look at a bubble shape Micra. Cheap to buy, great little cars and you can make them look awesome. I used to have a black one on a 'R' plate. was a bit boring so I owered it 35mm (P.I. springs, std shocks) and fitted 17" Wolfrace Octane wheels in shadow chrome. That is the only car I have had that I really wish I hadn't sold. :cry: That thing stuck to the road like poo to a blanket. If I can find a photo I will post it.

Heh, i know but i just couldnt bring myself to buy a Micra mate.

Punto, £650, no road tax, 4month MOT, reconditioned engine at 50k miles (has done about 80k i think), new exhaust and clutch, black, '96 reg. Maybe that's a better buy because insurance is about £80 a month, and might last a bit longer.

... arf... cheap cars are hard to come by. :rolleyes:

i've just got 2000 nickers from my accident, and ive made a tidy profit.

still finding it hard to find a decent car though :(

Well, after some painful searching finaly got myself a 106 ;). Car's in excellent condition and just two previous owners. It's reg'd a 98 and was only £850 + road tax so that's about £970 in total me thinks.

Well done my friend. Now keep a clean record and get some No Claims Bonus for your 30% discount off next years premium.