Busy days ahead

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Off to work at my part time job (that I do to be able to pay for my motorsport) this morning till 1 then home to change and off to the gym for a workout and swim then back home to load the Starion onto the trailer for a quick 6am start for a 50 minute drive to the track for the morning session of Time Attack at Qld Raceway where I will have 6 five hot lap sessions then load the car again then drive back home to unload the car to change wheels over to the softer Nitto NT01's ,load back on trailer and then pack all my camping gear into the tow car for a 8am start to a 2 hour drive to Oakey Friday morning and on arrival set up my camp in the pits ( a bare piece of land where they have portable loos and hot showers set up) then get the car scrutineered and a chat or 3 with my fellow competitors before driving 3klm's back into town wandering down the main street to buy some food for the 2 day event.

I will have my dinner on Friday & Saturday nights at the RSL where they have a good menu selection at fair prices.

I have a generator and gas cooker + a pan and kettle etc and take a DVD player to watch a movie before dropping off to sleep at night on my self inflating mattress and under a doona in the back of my dual/crew cab ute which is reversed into my gazebo that has 3 side "walls"/ curtains.

FYI the class I run in TA requires tyres with a TW of 140 + and in the street sprints tyres are open so I can fit the softer 100 TW semi slicks for better grip.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great way to spend a few days.

Only what's a "doona"? ?-/ :lol:

I think it's a new name for a "quilt"
We change them by unzipping the cover and replacing the thin summer inner with a thicker heavier inner in winter instead of having to use multiple blankets to keep warm.

Had a good run up to Oakey except for some highway upgrade roadworks that slowed progress and set up my pit campsite in a different area that was a bit further away than the paddock that was the pit area for many years.
There were some hiccups with the timing system that were sorted and then on Sunday a RX7 turbo broke the turbo CHRA oil feed which resulted an oil spill over 1/2 of the track that took some time to clean up as well as an under bonnet fire when back in the pit that took a while to extinguish as the turbo beanie was soaked with oil.
The culprit was a broken BRASS nipple that joined the oil feed line to the turbo housing.
I spoke to the driver and recounted my similar experience with BRASS fittings when one broke while my car was on a dyno many long years ago and luckily it was spotted before any harm was done. It's amazing just how much mess an app 1 litre of oil can make on a nice clean workshop floor.

FWIW I only use STEEL nipples/joiners/fittings for peace of mind.

I have reported my results in T9's "WEEKENDS GOINGS ON "thread/post for those interested;)

Last edited: