Torque Cars

Broke another spring

Discussion in 'Wheels, suspension and tyres' started by obi_waynne, 18 April 2017.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    In less than a year another spring has snapped on my car. That is a testimony to the state of the local roads.

The whole thing just sheered off so I'm riding an inch lower at the moment.

It's the front drivers side. I guess it's time for the nearside ones to go soon as well in the next year!

Why do these things always happen just before the MOT?

2. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Nightmare - it is definitely to do with the roads getting worse.

3. Rudders666

Rudders666 Torque Master

West Yorkshire
    Car:
    Ford Focus ST300+
    Are you on lowering springs? Seems odd for springs to just snap. The roads around where I drive are appalling but never had anything like this, touch wood

4. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Standard S Line springs, which are stiffer and lower than the usual non s line ones. Apparently they are quite fragile and quite regularly break according to my local garage. Hopefully it was a bad batch. I suppose they have lasted 99,000 miles though - on our roads that probably quite impressive.

5. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    GAAAAHHH! Another one broke on me yesterday! The nearside rear this time. It's as if they all reached a natural expiry point.

I'll get the other front one done as well to avoid another trip to the garage!

6. Rudders666

Rudders666 Torque Master

West Yorkshire
    Car:
    Ford Focus ST300+
    I'd upgrade them to something other than Audis springs if I were you, they sound appalling

obi_waynne likes this.
  7. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    You are joking off course! Sorry but a manufacturer with the stature of Audi should not be having this happen to any of their car models. I think I would be firing off a letter to Audi UK demanding an explanation.

Rudders666 likes this.
  8. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    It has done 100,000 miles and our roads down here are really really bad. I'll chalk it up to experience.