Braking on hills - a big no no

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In the peak district I got to see quite a few hills!

It was scary the number of drivers who used their brakes all the way down the hill.

I hope we all drop a cog or two rather than riding the brakes.

Do you think this is mainly the tourists that do this or are the locals as much to blame? Is this something you see much in your area?

Peak District is a lovely place. We stayed in a placed called Upper Elkstone four or five years back. Braking all the way down a hill is not idea, although modern cars have pretty good brakes that can stand up to the thermal battering compared to older examples.

It's still best to use some engine braking on big descents and change down the box. That's the reason automatics have the 3-2-1 L etc positions. If brakes were perfect there's be no need for this kind of override and the car would simply have P R N and D.

I would have though the main problem is poor quality brake fluid causing vapour lock. It is sadly suprising how few motorists change their brake fluid as often as they should. I had brake fade once, I had to do a second emergency stop on a motorway and the brakes just faded away, it makes me a little more paranoid.

Brakes? nah coast down in neutral mate! :lol:

Yeah always change down for big hills, it's horrible following someone who's stamping on the brakes all the time.

Always knock my Passat into TipTronic and engine brake. My LandRover Auto has automatic engine braking on hills over a certain gradiant after you've braked for more than a few seconds.

The only "problem" vehicle is my girlfriends Bora, which is a traditional auto (without tiptronic or any fancy auto-selected shifting programmes) where you have no choice but to ride the brakes.

I had no idea that it was not optional on some cars! I guess you need to keep the brakes in top condition then.

Surely there are not many hills that prevent engine braking from working? 3rd gear can be quite flexible if you need it to be?

Here's a question then. Is it better to ride the brakes on lightly all the way down or brake hard every hundred yards or so? Which will generate the most heat? Any scientists among us?