Braking on a bend with ABS

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I was wondering if it is still frowned on braking on a bend if a car is fitted with ABS.

I think there was a thread about this on here but I cant see it and there are probably lots of new opinions and I cant remember the outcome cos I dindn't have ABS at the time.

So does ABS make it safe to brake on bends or just a bit safer?

It makes it safe(r) to brake on a bend, but if you're on track you shouldnt be braking but keeping a steady state round a corner. Although i can see the benefit of ABS in an emergency situation

Best always to separate braking steering and accelerating. Or at least, blend them together meticulously.

ABS alone won't necessarily solve all your braking on bends problems. EBD, which pre-apportions brake pressure according to steer angle, yaw angle, lateral acceleration does improve things enormously. To the point you can bury the pedal halfway round a wet bend and stop ridiculuously quickly.

As always - do it if you have to. Let the electronics maximise your grip rather than use it to take up the slack needlessly.

You can, if you insist, be pretty brutal in cars with such systems. But there's only so much grip at each corner. All these stability systems do is make best use of the available grip.

Some people get a bit precious though, braking on a wide motorway bend (say one that takes 30-40 seconds to negotiate with the car just slightly off straight ahead) can be treated as braking on the straight.

You can still have problems braking on a bend even with ABS if your going a bit enthusiastically. I suppose it depends on circumstances weather, tyres etc. I've had the back end of my car twitch sometimes cause I've had to brake half way round a wet bend.

IIRC,

Four channel ABS systems work all four wheels when in straight-ahead position only.
5-channel introduced an additional sensor for lateral conditions.

IIRC,

Four channel ABS systems work all four wheels when in straight-ahead position only.
5-channel introduced an additional sensor for lateral conditions.

Not sure about that buddy. Which cars would be which?
All the cars i've had the ABS worked in all situations. Straight ahead and through a bend? I thought they gave up in a spin situation.

Not sure about that buddy. Which cars would be which?
All the cars i've had the ABS worked in all situations. Straight ahead and through a bend? I thought they gave up in a spin situation.

5 channel ABS,

as it was first called; introduced a sensor on the steering column (CBC) then evolved into ESP and ASC with another additional gyro sensor.

(From Wiki)

Additional developments

Modern Electronic Stability Control (ESC or ESP) systems are an evolution of the ABS concept. Here, a minimum of two additional sensors are added to help the system work: these are a steering wheel angle sensor, and a gyroscopic sensor. The theory of operation is simple: when the gyroscopic sensor detects that the direction taken by the car does not coincide with what the steering wheel sensor reports, the ESC software will brake the necessary individual wheel(s) (up to three with the most sophisticated systems), so that the vehicle goes the way the driver intends. The steering wheel sensor also helps in the operation of Cornering Brake Control (CBC), since this will tell the ABS that wheels on the inside of the curve should brake more than wheels on the outside, and by how much.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/anti-lock-brake2.htm

My Focus has ESP. But I turn it off!!!
But the Primera and 620 both have ABS and work whilst cornering. There is that many electronic aids about now it's getting ridiculous. Thats why it's so easy to pass a test. Thats an Idea make all learners use a Mk1 fiesta to learn to drive in. That'll give them a better understanding of how to drive a car without all the aids.

I'll go with that,

Traction Control is your right foot, ABS is cadence braking.

When I had a car without ABS there was much better feel through the brake pedal. Changed the car for an identical car but with ABS and it felt like I was pushing a block of wood....no feel anymore.

You can't cadence brake all four wheels independently ! The benefit of corner brake control and electronic brake force distribution is that the system is primed to deal with things long before the ABS is called into play to sort it all out.

Last edited:
You can't cadence brake all four wheels independently ! .............

That's it right on the button HDI,

For traditional style driving enthusiasts, if that's what some are. They enjoy the challenge and are aware that it does take some level of skill to pilot a car around in all conditions.
Knowing they might not always get it right is all part of it and this keeps your concentration and enthusiasm to learn awake.

They are now making cars where an absolute moron can waddle up to one, (where, for example it could be parked on a sheet of solid ice) start it before even getting inside, having already activated the heated seats and MP3 player with their favourite limp-wristed music. Open the door & park their backside in nice warm seats. Silence all the idiot buzzers for "Door Open," "Fasten Seatbelt" and "Parking Brake On." ........Select "D" for drive after first forgetting to press the footbrake to release the shifter because of the BTSC ....and... (advanced co-ordination here) ...start talking on a hands-free telephone while they plant their foot flat to the carpet .....and the car will move off without so much as a flicker from the TC as the ASC will sort out the ESP and communicate with the DSC. Everything will be just fine with the ARSE because the BOLOX was developed for any moron in any weather conditions so even the GPS will be A-OK about not getting the moron lost on the way back from the pub where the car park had a big frozen patch of ice that Mr Limpwrist had parked his Giz-mobile on without even noticing because he was dead from the neck up and had been for some time.

Yeeah right!

I'll keep it simple and stay that way thanks. Life is for living.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back