Braided brake line blistering

Racer75

Tuner
Car
BMW 323i (e36)
Hi, technical question here.

I have fitted braided lines to my e36 and have tried to bleed them, but found that one of the lines had blistered (the translucent plastic casing that protects the metal lines had turned brown and fell apart).

I replaced them but have now found that the plastic casing on the other side of the car is simply peeling off of the metal.

The current pipe appears to be dry and there is no fluid leaking from it that I can see, but my guess is that there is somehow a hole somewhere which is letting fluid leak out and effectively melt the hose.

Has anybody seen this before?

Ps the first hose was on the passenger side and was crusted and brown and had several blisters on it, the second pipe is on the drivers side and is not brown or wet and the casing os simply peeling off

Has fuel leaked on them at some point, this is not normal and doesn't sound right. Were the hoses and parts approved for road use? What DOT brake fluid are you using?

Has fuel leaked on them at some point, this is not normal and doesn't sound right. Were the hoses and parts approved for road use? What DOT brake fluid are you using?

I’d need to dig through my invoices, but in sure they were rated for Road and Track. The DOT of the fluid is a standard 4.

I have replaced the faulty line this morning actually and the pedal firmed right up. I’m still keeping an eye on it, but so far I’m putting it down to a manufacturer error.

It's good that you noticed it as the sole purpose of the plastic sheath is to prevent fine grit getting lodged in the SS braid and the hose flexes and the grit can damage the braid and that can lead to failure of the braid over time.