Bracing oneself behind the wheel

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Curious as to how many realize that the steering wheel is for steering the car and should not be used to brace oneself for change of direction or to stop being thrown forward when baking ??

The retractable seat belts will not brace you in the seat in normal situations .

The left foot on the foot brace (not rest) should be used to counter the forces when turning or braking by pushing on the FB to keep you sitting in your normal position so there will still be soft hands on the wheel to gain better feedback as to the grip level etc.

When turning one can use knees on the door or console depending on the turn direction.

It takes practice and perseverance before the tecnique becomes automatic.

I would recommend this to all drivers who take pride and want to improve their skills.

Good observation, most people I know hold on to the steering wheel when cornering hard without bracing a knee against the console. It does reduce your control over the car.

I instinctively trust a driver more who leans into the corner. It tells me he's an ex-motor bike rider and inherently safer on corners.

I instinctively trust a driver more who leans into the corner. It tells me he's an ex-motor bike rider and inherently safer on corners.

You will find that although the pro riders especially lean into corners they will have their heads as vertical to the road as possible.

Car drivers SHOULD NOT lean their head as that gives them a false perspective as to the actual position of the car on the road.

However motorcycle and horse riders in general are good at looking further ahead and thru a corner to see where they need to go than many drivers.

Last edited:
Good observation, most people I know hold on to the steering wheel when cornering hard without bracing a knee against the console. It does reduce your control over the car.

Obi San the reason behind what I have espoused is if one uses the wheel as a brace is that by doing so it means that your shoulder and arm muscles are tensed/tight and that reduces the steering wheel feedback feel.

It is most important to be relaxed behind the wheel as if one is tense you will tire sooner.