Boy racers vs car enthusiasts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you tell the difference between a boy racer and a real car enthusiast?

Is it an age thing, or more to do with their choice of car and their modding budget? Perhaps its more down to how they drive the car or thier choice of mods.

I think its a fine line but age and attitude are what count. Boy racers are young, hang out in carparks and do stupid antisocial car stuff like burnouts and street racing.

I think its a fine line but age and attitude are what count. Boy racers are young, hang out in carparks and do stupid antisocial car stuff like burnouts and street racing.

what do you class as young ? i know people my age (mid 20s) who still go out and do burnouts at every opertunity.

attitude id say is the main difference. whether they are acting like goons or not.

How to tell the difference between a boy racer & an enthusiast...

At the traffic lights a boy racer will race anything that pulls up next to him, an enthusiast will be able to tell you the make, year & model of the car just by looking at the wing mirror.

Enthusiasts don't hang out at Mac Donald's, they go to Burger King instead.

Boy Racers have to wear hoods because the back of their heads look like Alex Murphy's.

Enthusiasts wear beanies to stop dirt getting in the OBD port.

Boy Racers think an exhaust you can lose your cat down & Lexus lights will gain them 20bhp, an enthusiast knows ditching the wife & kids will have the same effect.

When pulled for speeding a boy racer will mouth off to the fuzz & claim they is being victimised 'cos of the spafe car I's drive innit. An enthusiast know's the when he's beat & will say it's a fair cop & apologise, thus standing a (slim) chance of getting away with it, yesSirthankyouSirIwon'tdoitgainSir.

Boy racers run on Red Bull & Big Macs.

Enthusiasts run on tea & bacon sarnies.

Boy Racers tend to be social animals & hang around in packs, a group of boy racers is called a cruise.

An enthusiast however, is a largely solitary & can go missing for days sometimes weeks until somebody finds them & pumps the jack back up to let them out.

tool.gif

Nice points of view, but for some oldies like me, it would be well to remember that we too did some stupid thing when we were younger !

Loz, spot on, nicely said.
Have done more than my fair few stupid things and was often classified as a boy racer, hopefully i would not be regarded as an enthusiast. Trying to explain to someone without much interest/knowledge why you lowered your car and fitted a strut brace to increase handling seems hard for them to understand the difference - its all a case of perception.

boy racers drive around in corsas and saxos that have a 5'' back box and a max power air filter right next to the manifold. and think its the dogs bohonys. they also drink an drive an smoke pot.

enthusiasts are the ones who see the potentall in there car and mod it in a way that makes a good car in to a amazing one. and they also know how to make things work with other components. enthusiasts drink tea and have the odd ciggeratte because the turbos just blowin its self up.

thats how i see it. as there is a large group of boy racers in derby an they all hang out at mc d's.

boy racers know nothink about their engines and modding...they know only how to put the pedal to the metal(they only "have the love"for speed and it soesnt matters what car they have)...they pay for everythink done on their car,while enthusiasts do a lot of work themselves...i think that car enthusiasts start as boy racers and then become enthusiasts... thats my point of wiev...

The difference is in the mindset, age is irelelevent.

I still have the boy racer mentality, it is just controlled a little better now, but I also class myself as an enthusiast in my particular field of interest. Any racing for money will now be conducted on the strip, rather than deserted roads at 2am as was the case 30 years ago. I have just had some cards printed to hand out to owners who think their cars are quick - sad, I know, but amusing :)

I know enthusiastic boy racers who have very nice machines, know what they are doing with a spanner but are still idiots on the road. I also know kids with Corsas with huge exhausts and K&N filters who pootle around and are good, safe, drivers.

It is dangerous, although fun, to generalise :)

Hope to meet you at the red light soon, or rather the orange, orange, green lights :)

At the traffic lights a boy racer will race anything that pulls up next to him, an enthusiast will be able to tell you the make, year & model of the car just by looking at the wing mirror.

Boy Racers have to wear hoods because the back of their heads look like Alex Murphy's.

Boy Racers think an exhaust you can lose your cat down & Lexus lights will gain them 20bhp, an enthusiast knows ditching the wife & kids will have the same effect.

When pulled for speeding a boy racer will mouth off to the fuzz & claim they is being victimised 'cos of the spafe car I's drive innit. An enthusiast know's the when he's beat & will say it's a fair cop & apologise, thus standing a (slim) chance of getting away with it, yesSirthankyouSirIwon'tdoitgainSir.

Boy Racers tend to be social animals & hang around in packs, a group of boy racers is called a cruise.

An enthusiast however, is a largely solitary & can go missing for days sometimes weeks until somebody finds them & pumps the jack back up to let them out.

tool.gif

I appear to be a mix of the 2 here:
1-Il tell you the make, model and year and equate whether i could beat this off the line or not before bothering to engage gear
2-I prefer to hang out in fields and avoid both of those eateries like the plague
3-hoodies are warm but i have long hair compared to a boy racer or "chav"
4-wife and kids, ha, hate lexus lights and believe my large exhaust only exists to give me that spine tingling joy from its rawr :p
5-never been caught but always beautifully polite to mr coppa when he pulls me
6-tea and bacon butties :D
7-social animal but not in the car, car time is alone time down a dark country lane with plenty of fuel :) :)

I'd say theres a boy racer in every enthusiast but a boy racer without the enthusiast is just a chav on wheels.

I feel a street term is appropriate here: "init bruv!"

tool.gif

HaHaa the Alex Murphy bit cracked me up
Soo true though