Borrowing someone elses car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you feel when you are borrowing someone elses car (with their permission of course!)

I get more than a little nervous. Especially if it happens to be expensive. My mate let me drive his S6 and that was a monster. Although it was big and heavy it felt really nimble and handled great - did a roundabout all the way round at 45 and the tyres were just starting to chirp a little!

in most cases im the same more nervous to drive somebody elses car doesnt matter if its more or less expensive
main differences are i brake a lot earlier than in my own car and a lot less likely to "drop and go" also the speed stay to limits ( well closer to them)

Always obay the speeds when in someone elses pride and joy. But I dont get nearvous. I just love to drive cars and can't wait to see when their cars like!

My Girlfriend thinks i'm made as I drive us everywhere. She asks if I get fed up driving, but no. I drive her little corsa at weekends, which is a nice drive, good little car. Then my MR2 during the week, which gets its fair share of Broads :p

Drove my friends RX8. That thing shifted! Felt like I was in a cocoon tho, found it quite bulky on the inside. Prob all the impact bars and airbags shoehorned in there.

I'm happy to drive anything that's in roadworthy condition (not just an MOT it struggled through 11 months ago).

You should take special care of other peoples' cars. If you've used it for a day or more, repay the favour by handing it back washed and hoovered. Fill the tank as well, regardless of whether it was full or not when you took charge. Don't smoke in it either.

One of my clients recently lent me a brand new A6 estate to get a TV home in that wouldn't fit my own car. It would be unfair to drive it 300 miles and hand it back filthy with a half empty tank.

With their permission?

oh, well I don't know... lol joking.

I like driving other cars apart from my own but i'm only 18 and maybe it grows boring with age, you old guys tell me ei? ;)

IMPORTANT
pixels just put on a point i think i should build on for all the younger members

most insurance companies will give you third party to drive another car, as long as its insured by it owner, if you take out fully comp. However what they state in the tiny minute writing at the bottom is this only applies if you are over 25 years old.

i only found this out a couple of years ago, when i was 21, when me and the girlfriend (now the wife) got the flat together and knew we would be driving each others cars a lot more. i only asked the guy on the phone to double check as i thought you got it as standard and he said it only worked if you were over 25. the wife phoned her insurance as well and was told the same. its ended up saving me a bit every year and costing her slightly more (think its saved me around £60 but cost her a £10 ) for us both to be on each others insurance.

ive asked around and a lot of young people think its alright to drive other cars if youve got fully comp on your own but check with the insurance 1st as its getting to xmas time (are we still aloud a Christmas Mr Prime minister) the police are out alot more stopping and looking for drink/drug drivers, they also check the condition of the car and its insurance and if your not the owner you may have to prove your insured