boost pressure

whitey51

Car
toyota starlet 1.3
just bought a 2006 1.2 tce clio and want to know what's a safe boost pressure to run it on as standard ? also any inexpensive things I can do to allow it to run higher pressures. don't want it to be unreliable.. or break thought so any tips to keep the engine from detonating and keep it reliable will be much appreciated too

cheers people.

hey and welcome to the site mate.
to be honest ive no idea wht the max safe boost that the clio can handle but i cant see you increasing it without have the ECU tweeked as most modern ECUs have strict parameters if these are exceeded then the ECU will go into limp mode - no or very little boost. best bet would be to get it remapped to increase the boost and fueling to match . this will keep the engine temps safe where as if you increase the boost and leave the fueling then it will run lean causing the cylinder temps to raise up

hey and welcome to the site mate.
to be honest ive no idea wht the max safe boost that the clio can handle but i cant see you increasing it without have the ECU tweeked as most modern ECUs have strict parameters if these are exceeded then the ECU will go into limp mode - no or very little boost. best bet would be to get it remapped to increase the boost and fueling to match . this will keep the engine temps safe where as if you increase the boost and leave the fueling then it will run lean causing the cylinder temps to raise up

It's not possible to damage a diesel engine with a lean fuel/o2 ratio. Diesel engines have no throttle to restrict airflow anyway and they always run on excess air.

Increasing the max boost pressure allowed without increasing fueling will not damage the engine. It can't run lean because there's not enough fuel going in in the first place to spin the turbo up enough to make it run lean.

the clio in question going by his profile is the petrol 1.2 turbo engine thats been brought in to replace the NASP 1.4 engine for better emmissions and economy. not the 1.5 dci