BONJOUR - 1.8 Avensis upgrade?

D

Davros

I've had my 1999 Toyota Avensis 1.8 from scratch. The engine's clocked 185,000 miles and is a tad tired. All else is in good nick.

We moved permanently to France from Wales in 2012; life is good here in the Midi-Pyrenees and the roads are a dream for cars and bikes, with hardly any other vehicles on the road!

Anyway, to the point. Is it possible to buy an 'off the shelf' tuned replacement engine. I'm just looking for something to improve torque and zip without having to radically upgrade too much else. Thanks.

D

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

Yes it is possible to buy ready built engines in various states of tune, the only obstacle is the length & depth of your wallet. I would start off by contacting these people for advice
https://www.lceperformance.com/

Good luck.

There's no massive torque gains to be had from any naturally aspirated engine. You might do better with one of Toyota's D4D diesel units, however, I am not sure about the complexity of fitting in place of a petrol unit,

Welcome btw :)

The Celica engine swap is possible in this but quite a lot is involved.

An "easier" route (note the " marks) would be the Direct injection 2 litre vvti you'll still need the ECU, exhaust and engine mounts from the donor. Expect the gearbox to need swapping out as well.

I'd probably go with a strip down rebuild with a blueprint/balance, fast road cams, port polish and rebuild with higher compression pistons on the current engine. You'll need a drop in ECU to cope with all the adjustments but it should work well.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back