BMW X6 design flaw

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There is no dipstick on the X6. To check the oil level you need to go into the Idrive computer and it will just give you an OK if the level is right.

Scenario, you are going on a 1000 mile drive. You check the oil level at the start and it is OK (actually it is just above minumum) Then you start your journey and the oil warning light goes on.

The next question is how much oil do you add and what grade? The manual seems to be pretty blank on this one. If there is no dipstick how can you tell if there is too much oil in the engine?

Are X6 drivers really that mechanically dumb that they can't cope with a dipstick.

Is this the demise of the dipstick as we know it?

Last edited:
Thats just a dumb idea, I suppose you have to keep the idrive on and and keep popping in and out of the cabin until it says OK, which it will just above minimum !!!, is there not a lit gauge on the idrive?

these type of things are put there on purpose by the manufacturers (all of them not just bmw!!!) to stop us the consumer doing even remedial tasks to make them more money!!!!
which imo should be against the law cause what is the hourly rate bmw technicians (laptop operators!!) charge???
and they would charge you an hour just to top up your oil

BMW technically advisor ( laptop button pusher ) - £1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 p/hr.

does seem a stupid thing but then again they are pretty stupid 4wd that get stuck on wet roads and wimp out looking at a grass field.

I drive an E63 Coupe. Yes, the iDrive tells you the status of the engine oil. When the oil level goes beyond minimum, a warning on the display warns the driver of that and a message "PLEASE TOP UP WITH 1 LITRE OF ENGINE OIL IN YOUR NEXT REFUELLING" or something like that (can't remember the exact words) appears on the iDrive screen.

It has happened to me once.

Mus.

I drive an E63 Coupe. Yes, the iDrive tells you the status of the engine oil. When the oil level goes beyond minimum, a warning on the display warns the driver of that and a message "PLEASE TOP UP WITH 1 LITRE OF ENGINE OIL IN YOUR NEXT REFUELLING" or something like that (can't remember the exact words) appears on the iDrive screen.

Mus.

Firstly, Greetings and Welcome To Our TorqueCars Forum My Friend! :)

Secondly, You own a car like that and you let the oil get so low in the engine that you have to be warned about it ???? :blink: I think you need to change your ways and take better care of that marvellous engine before it ends in tears for you buddy! ;)

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Mus.

welcome mate.

what does the idrive class as minimum though? is it where minimum would be on a dipstick, could it be lower ?
and how do you change the oil if you cant see how much is in ?

Well its really impressive.. The V10 engine looks really nice.. now I am just thinking about the speed power of the car. Its really cool. Thanks for sharing the photo. I will try to find some more information about the car.

Well its really impressive.. The V10 engine looks really nice.. now I am just thinking about the speed power of the car. Its really cool. Thanks for sharing the photo. I will try to find some more information about the car.

any comments by other's?

*Advertising signature link removed*

Your owners manual should tell you how much oil to add when the light comes on. I think it is one litre or 1.5l to go from min to max. I think BMW screwed up with this.
What was wrong with a dip stick? a lot less expensive that some electronics that will probably go wrong at some point. Anyone know if it possible to retrofit a dip stick to a modern diesel?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back