Torque Cars

BMW X6 design flaw

Discussion in 'BMW forums' started by obi_waynne, 12 July 2009.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    There is no dipstick on the X6. To check the oil level you need to go into the Idrive computer and it will just give you an OK if the level is right.

Scenario, you are going on a 1000 mile drive. You check the oil level at the start and it is OK (actually it is just above minumum) Then you start your journey and the oil warning light goes on.

The next question is how much oil do you add and what grade? The manual seems to be pretty blank on this one. If there is no dipstick how can you tell if there is too much oil in the engine?

Are X6 drivers really that mechanically dumb that they can't cope with a dipstick.

Is this the demise of the dipstick as we know it?

Last edited: 23 February 2012
  2. marti5

marti5 Road Burner

IPSWICH, Suffolk
    Car:
    BMW E38 735i 1997
    Thats just a dumb idea, I suppose you have to keep the idrive on and and keep popping in and out of the cabin until it says OK, which it will just above minimum !!!, is there not a lit gauge on the idrive?

3. herb

herb modherbrator Moderator

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    these type of things are put there on purpose by the manufacturers (all of them not just bmw!!!) to stop us the consumer doing even remedial tasks to make them more money!!!!
    which imo should be against the law cause what is the hourly rate bmw technicians (laptop operators!!) charge???
    and they would charge you an hour just to top up your oil

4. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    BMW technically advisor ( laptop button pusher ) - £1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 p/hr.

does seem a stupid thing but then again they are pretty stupid 4wd that get stuck on wet roads and wimp out looking at a grass field.

5. mustaffaaziz8

mustaffaaziz8 Newbie

Malaysia - Shah Alam
    Car:
    630i Coupe
    I drive an E63 Coupe. Yes, the iDrive tells you the status of the engine oil. When the oil level goes beyond minimum, a warning on the display warns the driver of that and a message "PLEASE TOP UP WITH 1 LITRE OF ENGINE OIL IN YOUR NEXT REFUELLING" or something like that (can't remember the exact words) appears on the iDrive screen.

It has happened to me once.

Mus.

6. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9

Firstly, Greetings and Welcome To Our TorqueCars Forum My Friend! :)

Secondly, You own a car like that and you let the oil get so low in the engine that you have to be warned about it ???? :blink: I think you need to change your ways and take better care of that marvellous engine before it ends in tears for you buddy! ;)

7. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
    Hope you enjoy your time with us.

8. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    I'd hate that. I want to see the level myself and then judge.

My clio 172 had an electronic level indicator but also a good old fashioned dipstick.

9. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    welcome mate.

what does the idrive class as minimum though? is it where minimum would be on a dipstick, could it be lower ?
    and how do you change the oil if you cant see how much is in ?

10. Cedric008

Cedric008 Full member

Canada
    Car:
    Honda Civic
    Well its really impressive.. The V10 engine looks really nice.. now I am just thinking about the speed power of the car. Its really cool. Thanks for sharing the photo. I will try to find some more information about the car.

11. Cedric008

Cedric008 Full member

Canada
    Car:
    Honda Civic
    any comments by other's?

*Advertising signature link removed*

12. Monty71

Monty71 Wrench Pro

New york
    Car:
    BMW X6