BMW 330 to a Smart - An eco move!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I have a friend who recently sold a BMW 330 Diesel and bought a smart. Guess which one has the best fuel economy? Nope! Try again the 330 Diesel.

The real world fuel consumption IE: when you do 70 on the motorway the MPG is better in the BMW (48 mpg) than in the Smart (41 mpg) -NB: the smart has been chipped for a bit of extra power.

The new car was meant to save him some money but the only benefit is that it is easier to park.

Have you ever bought a car for a reason and then found out that the reason is not valid!

HAHAHA. ie heard about a few other examples of these. MSN done one with a 320d and a pirus. the BMW left it standing and got much better economy think it was around 10mpg better. it was only intown that the pirus was better.
Top gear done n in the 1st episode as well with a M3 and a ??? (ive forgotten). and round the track the m3 was more economical.

at least hell save with the roadtax and insurance

I wonder now whether it's worth buying a diesel car at all if saving money is the only goal. (Or any car, for that matter). With diesel prices being so high and servicing mroe frequent and more costly that petrol cars it's probably not worth it. However, one thing that is for sure now is that litre for litre of engine volume diesels are infinitely better to drive than petrols in my opinion.

I never fail to understand which such idiots as the editors of Which mag compare 2.0 diesels with 2.0 petrols and call them equivalent. 320i vs. 320d - I know where I'd place my bet.

Fact is were all being stuffed by this w..k off off an organisation called a government.