better performance ideas...

stayluckydave

Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a Mercedes CLK430 V8 (yr 2000) and I was wondering what I could do to get better performance? I don't really want to spend more than £1000 so any advice would be a great help.

It already has a rather hefty 279 BHP but I fancy getting it higher if poss?
My MPG is rather low too at 15-18MPG!

Regards

Dave

More power and better MPG Hmm I see a conflict here.

The plan of mercedes was to reduce the low end grunt and give better top speeds Good in Germany but not fantastic over here - if you are willing to sacrifice top speed you can do something here.

(You could get an ECU remap for Super Unleaded and this should yield better power and could potentially, as the engine burns more efficiently, bring down your MPG. You may like to try a split approach - better MPG (Lower power also) at low revs and push the torque envelope further up the rev range so you have more power on tap and less MPG at higher rev ranges. This is what most manufacturers aim at with their mapping.

You could bolt on some NOS - this will give a phenomenal power hike on your car. I also recommend a cone induction kit with a cold air feed - this will free up the top end revs a little although big engines like this are never particularly revvy.

Getting the head cleaned out and skimmed would increase compression but this is expensive for a V8 engine. If I were you I would speak to Brabus and see what they can offer you The AMG CLK55 shows what you are missing out on.

Weight reduction will also help you - these cars are extremely heavy.

thank you...

Thanks Wayne...you seem to know your stuff :shock:

Do you know how much some of your ideas might cost?...I don't really know much about cars and I don't want to get ripped off!

Thanks again,

Dave

Try these people as a baseline (i'm not recommending them or vouching for them as I have no experience of dealing with them but the site implies that they know what they are up to. You also need to compare notes with other MB owners and get a general consensus about modifications and tuners - try posting in our Mercedes forum and I'm sure a few guys will pop up and chat with you!)

http://www.mercedesperformance.co.uk/pdfs/CLKClassperformance.pdf Most other prices are round these marks. NoS can be fitted for around £500.

You really want to go for a custom remap and explain your requirements to the tuner.

You could get celtic tuning (http://www.celtictuning.co.uk) to adjust the fueling and ignition timing parameters to maximise what is already a lively engine.

Large swept volume petrol engines such as yours don't really need attention - they are already tuned to their theoretical max. I suggest you enjoy the sheer might and muscle of a V8 that clearly is not in need of enhancement.